Chapter Eleven

"Chris! Get up! We've got an hour before school starts and you've slept for so long." I opened my eyes and saw María hovering over me.

"María?" My voice came out raspy from being asleep.

"Yes?" She was right there smiling at me with that sweet smile of hers.

"María." I pulled her into my arms and hugged her to my chest. "You're okay."

"I'm sorry I scared you." She said. "I forgot to tell you that if my temperature is even 2 degrees off, I can pass out. Papa would put me in the bed and put a cold compress on my head to cool me off and wrap me up in blankets. Once my temp was back to normal, I would wake up."

"I'm just glad you're okay. And sorry I slept for so long, I was tired and-"

"It's okay, I understand. You looked exhausted yesterday. So we let you sleep. But now it's time to get up. You have to drive me to school. Come on!" She hopped up and ran out the room. I sighed and got up, walking to the bathroom to clean up.

I took a quick shower and put on one of my many suits that I owned. I always wore a suit usually except for maybe a day when I don't have to work and I might not get dressed. I liked presenting myself in a certain way so suits had always kinda been my thing. My mom told me my dad always wore suits and she talked so highly of him. It made me wish I could have met him but he died before I was born apparently. I didn't even know what he looked like but my mom said I was the spitting image of him so I had a pretty good picture. I found myself thinking about him more nowadays for some reason. I wondered why.

"Chris?" I heard María's voice and I leaned out the closet. I felt myself trying to smile, she looked so cute in her little red skirt and was also wearing a long sleeve white crop top over it.

"Is that school appropriate?" I asked, referring to the crop top.

"Well it's white and it meets the skirt at the top so I guess it is. I like it and I know you do too." She winked at me.

"What gave you that idea?" I shot back and her expression faltered.

"So it's not cute?" She poked out her lip and tilted her head.

"I didn't say that, I just...uh-"

"I'm teasing you! I know you think it's cute. Come on!" She spun around so that her skirt flared up and skipped down the hallway. She was a handful, I knew that much.

I walked out behind her and she had her back to me as she walked. I found myself staring, her hair bounced with her stride and since she had cut it, she appeared taller and had more curves than I had noticed. It was amazing how small things could make a girl look like a woman just like that. I knew she couldn't have grown that fast in a short time but looking at her, she looked more like she was young lady than a young child. I was so attracted to her, I didn't know if I was gonna be able to handle myself long enough until she's 18. She was taunting me with her body and seductive actions.

"Here you go, Mr. Brown." The maid said as she handed me a water bottle and my briefcase when I stepped off the steps.

"María, you ready to go?" I looked up and saw Nick standing in front of María at the door that led to the garage.

"That's okay, Chris is driving me. Right?" She looked over at me and in the light, I realized she was wearing makeup which made her look even older. My words were caught in my throat. Who knew beauty like hers could even exist in this world? And why had she so suddenly came into my life?

"Y-yeah." I finally said, walking to the garage door to join her.

"You sure?" Nick looked at me.