Chapter Fourteen

"When did you get released from the hospital?" Chris asked.

"Today. The doctor said the last treatment they did worked and I'm all better. He did tell me to take it easy though and they want me to come back for a checkup in two weeks." She answered.

"That's great!" I exclaimed, folding my hands and smiling at her.

"I see you've won Chris's heart over even more." She says, probably referring to the fact that I was sitting on Chris's lap.

"Mom." Chris groaned and she narrowed her eyes at him.

"Oh come on, it's obvious that she's got you wrapped around her little finger. The way you look at her, it's like she's a precious gem and you would take a bullet for her." 

"He would." I said softly, rubbing my thumb across his cheek.

"I just hope that situation never happens." He replies, smiling at me.

"What's going on with you two? I know there's more to you guy's relationship, just tell me."

"Why do you think there's more to us?" Chris asks her.

"Look at you two, you look like a couple." Chris and I look at each other and she gasps.

"You are a couple! I knew it. Wait, Chris this girl is 17, what are you thinking?"

"Mom, I'm well aware of her age. I haven't done anything with her and I don't plan to until she's of age."

"Well I'm more worried about how you're holding up." She then said to me.

"Why?" I ask.

"Look at him, how can you keep your hands off of him?" Chris covers his face with his hand as I start to blush.

"Trust me, it hasn't been easy. And when he lets me, he's always 'María, we shouldn't be doing this' and blah blah blah."

"Oh come on, do you want to get in trouble?" He asks me.

"How would you get in trouble?" Joyce asks and I wondered that too.

"Yeah, how would we?" I questioned also.

"I could get arrested." Chris said.

"Yeah, only if someone told the police. Who would know what you've done and go tell? Beside me or the maid or Nick." Joyce replies.

"That is true." I add.

"I don't want to risk it and I have morals. I want to treat María the way she should be treated."

"That's sweet and all but you must not realize how much I want you." I say.

"I guess you're right." Joyce spoke. "María, you're just going to have to wait."

"Darn." I pouted. "Anyway, I think we should celebrate your wellness!" I suggested to Joyce.

"I like that idea!" She agreed.

"What do you want?" Chris asks.

"Let's take her to dinner." I say and when Joyce nods, Chris stands me up and picks up his phone.

"I'll call a place and you go get ready."

"Yay!" I darted upstairs to my room to pick out something simple and nice. I had a dark blue skater dress that seemed perfect for the occasion so I took that off the hanger and laid it on my bed before going in the bathroom to put on a little makeup.

It didn't take me long to get ready and when I walked out my room, Joyce was walking out also, dressed in some slightly dressier attire than what she was wearing earlier.