Chapter Thirteen

"Rose." I spoke. "It's December now, when you usually put up the tree?" I asked.

"Honey, Mr. Brown doesn't put up a tree at Christmas." She replied, shocking me.

"You're kidding. Who doesn't like Christmas?! I remember, my father use to wake me up in the middle night to see Santa, who was just his friend dressed up, putting presents under the tree. Then he'd tell me to thank Santa and go back to bed. Our tree was always beautiful. He'd cut down a big one and haul it in the house all by himself. Then we'd set it up and decorate it together."

"Well Mr. Brown wouldn't do something like that." She said.

"He would for me." I replied.

"And what makes you so sure?"

"He loves me. Remember?"

"I know that but is it enough to make him do something he hasn't done for years?"

"I think it is." Just then, I heard the door leading to the garage opening and some footsteps. But sounded like more than one set.

"The kitchen is that way." I heard Chris say. A second later, a woman walked in and my jaw dropped. She was absolutely gorgeous and had long wavy brown hair. Even her eyes were beautiful, they were brown and faded to green towards the outside. Who was she and why had she come home with Chris? I felt so insecure with her standing right there in all her night and glory.

"Oh hello." She spoke, looking between Rose and I. "I'm Jordan, Chris's coworker. And you are?" I got hostile all of a sudden.

"I'm Rosaline, Mr. Brown's maid." Rose said. She looked at me and I stood up.

"I'm María, Chris's girlfriend." I said sternly. The maid looked a little shocked.

"Oh? I didn't know he was seeing someone. You look young." She replied.

"Better to look young than old." I snapped.

"Are you saying I look old?"

"I don't know, am I?"

"You look like a whore who's dating him for his money."

"I am not!"

"Hey!" We all turned and saw Chris standing in the doorway. "Jordan, I didn't invite you to my house so you can come here and speak to her like that. María, come with me."

"But she-"

"Come. Here." I shut my mouth and walked over to him in which he put his arm around my waist and led me out the kitchen. He led me to his office and I walked in cautiously.

"I thought I wasn't allowed in your office." I said.

"I'm ungrounding you." He told me.

"Why? I had a week left."

"Well you've been good for the last 3 weeks. Anyway, I know what you're thinking about Jordan but she's just my partner on a case and I have to work with her for a while. Trust me, I hate it but I do not want you two fighting."

"She called me a whore!"

"I'll get her for that. But bear with me, okay?" I frowned and he placed his hands on my waist, pulling me in closer to him. The look he gave me made me weak in the knees and I just had to kiss him.

"I hate it when you do that." I mumbled after pulling away.

"Should have never told me that you couldn't resist me." He said with a smirk.

"I'll bear with you I guess. Oh, and she can't know I go to school or anything."

"Why?"

"Well....I kinda said I was your girlfriend."