eleven

hartley's point of view

"All children from the founding families must be gathered on the dance floor to dance with another child from another founding family! Boys dance with girls and the remaining dances with each other!" The major spoke into the microphone. As I recall, every girl at this ball is wearing a big dress, so how the hell they imagine we're all gonna fit on the fucking dance floor; I don't know.

I looked around me to see almost everyone paired up. Of course, my first thought falls on Dominic. But then I start filing a pros and cons list against him in my head.
Pros are, he's the kindest soul on earth, very understanding - knows how to make me really, truly happy. I want to find so many cons as to why I can't dance with him, but yet I can only seem to find one; he's probably not the greatest ballroom dancer. I know in my mind it's wrong to ascertain that he can't dance, but come on. If you've seen him on stage, you'll damn well know his limbs are all over the place.

I feel a light tap on my shoulder. I quickly turn around to see Drew from earlier, and a guy I recognize from school, Darren. "Hartley, will you be so kind to dance with me?" They overlapped each other and were so forward with their requests, that I was blown away by their almost screaming. I turned to my side to see Dom looking at me. I bowed at Darren and Drew. "I'm sorry gentlemen, but I think I'll go with this one right here." I smiled at them, pointed at Dominic and placed my arm in his, so that we'd walk arm in arm on the dance floor. "Can you dance?" I muttered under my breath so only Dom could hear. "If only you knew." He answered. We were left to stand in front of each other, so we'd bow once the music begun. Beside me, I saw a girl in a big green dress.

Felicity Gilbert.

Fun fact about Felicity and I; we have never been able to like each other. Our mothers have tried endlessly, but ever since kindergarten? Nope, never liked her. She glanced at me and rolled her eyes. "Are you serious?" She said and crossed her arms. I sent a sarcastic smile her way, only to focus on Dominic and I.

A well known piano started playing. I knew exactly what song this was. I bowed and noticed Dominic doing the same. It was amazing to see he wasn't freaking out that bad about standing out that much. The piano kept playing in the speakers as I put my arms behind Dominic's neck. I felt his hands behind the lower part of my back. We started swaying from side to side in a proper slow dance matter.
"Do you know what song this is?" I asked him, and smiled. Just because that was all I could do these part hours. Smile. He carefully shook his head. "No, I don't think I'm familiar with it, love." He called me love. The other places. They were everywhere.

"If i could fly," I sung and made direct eye contact with him. "- I'd be coming right back home to you." He quietly sang along and spun me around. "Look at you, mr. I'm a professional dancer!" I laughed with a pint of excitement in my laugh. I felt lucky to have someone as Dominic by my side. To always support me whenever something was wrong, or when someone upset me. Even though I've only known him for a year and a half without ever meeting him, I felt like I had known him my entire life. And these three days really made me realize how much I love and cherish our friendship. Of course, there's a flirt or two here and there, but isn't there supposed to be that in a acquaintance sometimes?

As the song came to an end and Dominic pulled me close, there was an intense sentiment between us. We gazed into each other's eyes, caressed each other's face and as the song ended and people started clapping, I snapped out of the moment. The moment where it was only the two of us. No one else to worry about. I looked at Dominic quite surprised and held my breath until he came close to me and pecked my lips. I pulled away from him. "Are you sure?" I asked him. "Are you sure you're ready to handle this mess?" Dominic nodded. "A 100 percent. Just as long as I get permission to kiss you again." I giggled at him. "Come get it."

He smiled at me one more time before grabbing the lower part of my back again, pulling me close and attaching his lips to mine in a perfect fit.

A/N: I GET THE CRUSHIES FROM THIS CHAPTER.