I can't lose you

Word count: 3.7k

Description: Peter almost fails to save you as spiderman, revealing his identity and his love for you in the process. Angst, fluff.

Today had been a very productive patrol day, and Peter was feeling amazing about it. Of course he wasn't happy about the number of criminals increasing in Queens lately, he just couldn't help but feel useful and proud that he could stop them, since Mr. Stark never gave him "real" missions, at least not yet.

He sat on top of a building to take a rest after his exhausting day, mask finally off and feet dangling on the edge as he admired how the sun disappeared behind the city's silhouette. He checked his phone for the first time since he got out of school earlier, and noticed he had two missed calls from you about thirty minutes ago. He smiled at your name on the screen like the dumb teenager in love he was, but before he could call you back something inside him made him lower his phone and furrow his brows in confusion.

Out of nowhere Peter felt uneasy, even though an apparent calmness lingered in the air. Something just seemed to be off, because every time things looked like they were going well, all hell broke lose the next second.

Peter had went through way too much shit to know everything about it.

"Karen, is there any trouble happening right now?" He asked, leaning forward to look at the street below him, expecting to find whatever was making him feel so anxious.

"You have appeared to stop all the crime for today, Peter" She said, her monotone voice not satisfying him at all.

He finally stood up and put on his mask once again, hoping the programmed lenses would help him catch something he might be missing, anything.

He saw nothing.

But that's when he felt everything.

The hairs on his arms lifted up as his spidey sense hit him harshly, invading every inch of his body in a way he had never felt before. He could feel his heart rapidly thumping on his chest, and the sound of the heartbeat ringing in his ear was so loud he couldn't hear the cars below anymore.

He began spinning around to find where the imminent danger was coming from, trying to diverge his attention from the pang in his heart to focus on the multiple streets and the few people in them. He was starting to feel disoriented, why was he feeling so threatened at the moment when everything looked just fine?

I mean, we all know 'just fine', never meant just fine.

"... Peter!" The AI yelled at him, or at least that's how it appeared to Peter when she snapped him out of his trance. "Y/N is two blocks away down the street, there's a man following her..."

Peter's mind was clouded from the moment he heard your name, to the point where he didn't even hear the rest of the sentence before he jumped off the building to swing in the direction Karen told him, because he was only focused on one thing right now.

Keeping you safe.

Two blocks away from the boy, you desperately tried to get away from the man who was following you, and even though you were practically running at this point, you were barely ahead of him.

You knew it was wrong to stay in the public library until so late, but you were so caught up in your assignment that you hadn't noticed the hours passing. You tried to call Peter so he could walk you home, but you guessed he was busy with his Stark internship when he didn't answer. Your best friend, and actual crush since you started high school, always gave you a sense of safety and you didn't really understand why, he was just a scrawny boy after all, yet all you could think about was how much you wish you could feel that safety now.