Chapter 12 - "Breaking Hearts"

(Skip to next Friday morning)

Evan POV:

I approach my locker, unlocking it and putting my lunchbox and some textbooks. This is the day I have to tell everyone, no backing out now. Were moving tomorrow. Hearing footsteps behind me, I could tell it was Zoe's somehow. "Ev, you seemed quiet this whole week... is everything okay with you?" she ask, worriedly. I turn to her, my back to my locker.

She's going to hate me after I say this, she's going to have a bad day because of me. I hate that I have to tell them this at all... I never wanted to move in the first place.

She puts a hand on my arm, her other hand on my chin, lifting my head up. "Hey, you can tell me anything... please" she hugs me, I put a hand on the back of her hand while hugging.

I could feel many tears forming, falling on her back. We both pull away from the hug and I take a final deep breath before telling her. "I-i'm moving schools..." Zoe gasps and just stood there. Tears started coming down my face, I gestured my hands for Zoe to hug me again. I closed my eyes and cried on her shoulder.

I can tell people are looking, Jared and Connor are probably curious what's going on with me.

Time skip to lunch

I hate breaking their hearts like this, its not like me. Jared catching me before I go and sit with Zoe and her friends. "Ev, what happened this morning?" he asks. Looking to him, I know he would hate me for this. Taking a seat at the nearest table, I tell Jared to sit down so then I can break the news. "Jared... i'm moving schools"

"What?? Are you still going to be in town?"

I set my head down, nodding. Suddenly, I feel a hand on my back. I knew it wasn't Jared's or Connor's, when I looked up, it was Zoe's. "Hey, you coming?" she asks, meaning to go to our table and eat. I brushed her arm, looking to our table then back to her "y-yeah... just give me a second"

"Ev, its your last day... I want to have a good last lunch together"

She sits next to me, I look to Jared only seeing he left. Classic Jared, always leaving at the most random times. "Zoe, im still in town... you can still visit me whenever"

"It's not the same, Ev. I can't greet you with a hug every morning, I can't fall into your arms at lunch, I can't pass note to you during math, I can't match with your outfit, I can't-"

"Zoe! I know, I hate it too... lets just make what's left of today, I don't leave until tonight. Hey, you can steal my clothes and come over every weekend if you want" I smile at the end.

She leans in, her head on my chest. I put an arm around her, comforting her. After lunch gets done, Zoe pulls me back from leaving. "Uh, quick question" she asks. I put swing my bag around my should and look at her. "Are you... are you and my brother good again? I saw you guys talking after class yesterday"

Okay, that I was not expecting to hear that. Well, she can never know about that. "Us? Yeah, he apologized" I lied. We both walked off to class, boring as hell. Crap, I just forgotten that I left my homework at home.

Not realizing it was math class, also not realizing Zoe was in here too. "It's my turn to pick our seats, remember?" she says, cheerfully. I smile, hiding my tired and dreadful face. She picks out some seats and we both sit down with class starting in less than a few minutes.

Class starts and everyone quiets down, the teacher starts teaching. "Alright class, today we have a change of plans. Instead of watching a movie, the school wants every student to take this long ass test. Excuse my language" teacher said. I raise my hand, trying to say something. She looks at me and points.

"Yeah, um, how long will this test take?"

"About 3 days"

Students groan, my eyes widen. I stand up and walk over to the teachers desk.

"Oh, i'm moving schools... today is my last day here"

"Well... then you can do whatever, just be quiet"

I nod and sit back down in my seat, Zoe rubs my arm for a few seconds than punches it. Students keep groaning as they heard that I don't have to take the test.

Zoe and exchanges looks, both of us quietly chuckling. The teacher starts handing out the tests and I go on my phone. I'm wanting to help Zoe, knowing I can't and people would hate me because literally everyone knows that were dating.

I hate that everyone knows.

Time skip to after school

Zoe pulls in my driveway and we both get out, leaving all my school things in her car. We walk in the front of the hood of the car, I reach out my arms with

Zoe hugging me. Resting my chin on her head, I tried to keep her from crying. "Sh... don't cry, you're making me cry" I say, trying to make her laugh. She let out a slight chuckle, I chuckle too. She looks up and me and just stares into my eyes, I wipes her tears with my thumb and kiss her forehead.

We head inside, only to find boxes everywhere. Phil, Jeremy, and my mom are packing everything to the boxes while Zoe and I head to my room one final time.

I felt a hand on my shoulder, looking up to see my mom, both of us looking into my room. "We left your room untouched so you could look at it once more..." my mom says, trying to comfort me. I nod my head and walk in my room, knowing that this would be my last day of seeing this room full.

This house was everything to me. I grew up in this house and we're just leaving. I'm reliving memories I had with this house, remembering all the dumb stuff I did. I can't believe i'm leaving whole childhood. Great, now im starting to cry.

Zoe helps me with emptying my room, we did it in probably an hour, hour and a half. I take the final box to the moving van, finding Jared and Connor standing there. "Jared, Connor... what are you doing here?" I say, smiling. Jared steps forwards, hugging me. "Just wanted to say goodbye before you go"

"Guys, im not leaving town" I chuckle.

"Uh, I am"

We all turn to Jeremy, he's on his phone. He walks over to Jared and they kinda walk away. "Are you and Michael a thing or...?" I chuckle as they walk off. I

turn all my attention to Connor, he puts out a cigarette and walks over to me. "I'm not a huger... but hell, come here, Hansen" he pulls me into a hug. Zoe walks over to me, she looks to Connor, probably telling him to back off.

"I hate this... but, at least your only moving schools and not leaving town"

I grab her waist, pulling it closer to me. She giggles, leaning in to kiss me. Can't blame her... this sucks but it's a thing called life. "Alright, alright... that's enough" Connor said, trying to separate his sister and I.

Zoe comes to my side, my arm around her as my mom and Phil comes walking out with the final boxes.

"You boys ready?" she says, looking to Jeremy and I.

We both nod, me saying my final goodbyes and head get in the moving van. I wave to everyone as Jeremy brings down the door. There's not that much room only 2 seats up in front so we had to sit in the back of the van.

And we are off to our new house...