°•|Chapter I|•°

°{Chapter I}°

The sound of cheering adults reverberated around the small stadium from the visitor stand.

The afternoon heat from the sun washed over the land; blazing like a bright volcanic firefly in the shimmering blue sky. Sweat glistened on every player there, the sunlight making sure it was clearly visible on their faces as the smell of fresh daffodils bloomed in the air -  their bright yellow petals glowing when the light hit them. 

This was it. This was the final round.

Despite the heat, Cold air enveloped the skin that was not covered by the Green Hills baseball uniform you were wearing; sending chills down your spine. The feeling of anxiousness burning in your stomach as you stood, watching impotently at the sidelines. In other words, you felt like a cat on a hot tin roof.

This was the team's last chance at winning. Both teams were neck and neck with the scoreboard. If Green Hills manages to get this one, that will make them the victors. You have tried an attempt at running a home run, only for the baseball getting caught and dunked on the last post before you even reached it. 

Which by means, resulted in you failing and being put out. You heaved out a sigh. Now was not the time to recall the embarrassment, you had to have hope in that your team will win this. No, faith. Faith is better than hope. You watched as coach Higgens approached the last member of your team as he was handed the bat. "You can do this, son. If you miss this those guys are never gonna let this pass. Just concentrate on the ball, I believe in ya." 

The boy gave him a nod as a look of determination spread across his face. "I'll give it my best shot, coach." 

The coach quickly went back to stand next to the opposite team's coach near the visitor's stand. The whistle blew sharply in the air, declaring the match to begin. The pitcher gripped the ball tightly, his Spring valley baseball uniform was a violent red. He lifted his left leg up, twisting his body slightly, before throwing it. The boy swung the bat, but it never came in contact with the ball. 

He heard the sound of the ball colliding with a leather glove behind him instead. The referee blew the whistle."

"Strike one!"

"Darn it," he muttered under his breath. The boy's confidence seemed to waver as the catcher threw the ball to the pitcher. The pitcher caught it, and resumed his normal stance. The referee blew the whistle. The pitcher gripped the ball tightly once more, before throwing it towards the boy. 

He swung the bat, confident that he will hit it this time. He opened his eyes, as he did not hear the familiar sound of the ball ricocheting of the bat. He heard the referee blowing the whistle instead, rather loudly. 

"Strike two!"

Coach Higgens pulled his cap over his face. You clenched your fists. This cannot be happening. He only had one shot left at this. If he misses this one, he will be put out and the opposite team, Spring Valley, will be Victorious. Just the thought of losing left a dry taste in your mouth, as if you ate a handful of saltwater taffies. 

Your body was trickling with irritation. You and the guys trained so hard for this. You wished you could help him out. You glanced at your teammates standing on both of your sides. You were all out, yes, but that doesn't mean you guys couldn't literally do nothing and watch. 

Before the referee could blow the whistle again, you cupped your face with both hands and shouted. "Go JAMIE!"

The boy, now known as Jamie, turned to look in the direction your voice came from. Your teammates seemed to get what you were trying to do, and joined in. They shouted encouragingly at him.