chapter 3

Devyn

I woke up to the irritating sound of birds chirping outside of my apartment. It was around 8 am.

Just as I was reaching for my phone, I had received a call from an unknown number. I picked up anyway.

"Hello" I said in confusion.

"Good morning. Am I speaking to Ms. Devyn Stone?" A lady said enthusiastically.

"Yes. Who is this?" I asked.

"I'm Monica Monroe. The lead desk assistant at Richard's headquarters in New York City. I am excited to inform you that you have received the title as Josh Richard's marketing assistant. Your internship starts in about a week. Congrats, honey." The lady said kindly.

I couldn't believe it. I was at a loss for words. My hard work was finally being recognized. I felt absolutely joyous and couldn't wait to let dad and Niki know. Ahh, God is good.

"I'm very flattered, Mrs. Monroe! Thank you very much." I said kindly.

"You're welcome, honey." She said. "See you in a week, goodbye."

Right after she hung up, I was jumping up and down with excitement. I couldn't believe this. I couldn't believe that I was going to be working for one of the most successful corporations in the country. Especially the fact that I'd be working alongside the Josh Richards. This is unreal.

I immediately dialed my dad to tell him about this. When he finally picked up, I yelled, "Dad, I got the internship!"

"Wow! Congratulations, Sweetheart. You have no idea how happy I am for you!" He exclaimed.

"Thank you, Dad." I said flattered. "I'll be heading to New York in a week to start."

"New York. Your mother adored the city." He said with astonishment. "You're really living her dream"

"Yeah, amazing city. I remember our trip there. It was our first family trip ever... and last." I said gloomily.

"I truly wish we could go back." My dad said. "I'd do anything to have ever back."

A tear slowly began to stream down my face, but I quickly wiped it away. This happened 15 years ago. You're 23 now. Be strong, Devyn.

15 years ago, my mom had died in a car accident. She ran into a drunk driver and was rushed into the emergency room immediately. During the accident, her chest was crushed, which resulted in an immense and rapid loss of blood that killed her despite everything the doctors had done to try and save her.

"Me too." I sighed.

"Alright, sweetheart. I'll catch you later. I'm driving. Love you. Stay strong." He said.

"I will. Love you too." I said and hung up.

I immediately dialed Niki to let her know as well. After about three rings she picked up.

"Girl, guess what!" I exclaimed. "You won't believe what just happened."

"What just happened?" She sounded confused.

"The internship. I got the internship!" I said.

"I told you." She said. "You're the hardest working person I know. I'd literally sue the company if you didn't get the internship."