Chapter 27 - Wolfe

I hear the knock on my door just as I've turned off the stove, wiping my hands down. I take a peek outside the kitchen window to make sure it's who I think it is before heading down the hallway to open the door. I barely swing it open before Asher pokes his head in.

"This is where you live, huh?" He shoulders past me without so much as a hello and I roll my eyes, shutting the door behind me and following him inside. He pauses in the middle of the hallway where both the living room and kitchen are in sight and he looks around. "I see it. Plain and simple."

"Thanks for your approval," I deadpan and head inside the kitchen. I can hear him following closely behind.

"I'm still not used to you talking. It's fucking crazy, you realize that? I couldn't sleep last night thinking about it."

"How sweet," I side glance him. "Aria know you fantasize about me every night?"

"Fuck you. I think I liked you better mute."

"I get that a lot."

"So, who knows so far?" He hops up on the island while I take plates out of the cabinet.

"Melanie, you, and Coach."

"Where is the she-devil, by the way?"

"Work," I pile Chow Mein onto his plate and hand it to him. "Forks are in the second drawer."

"You cook?" I hear the disbelief in his tone and turn around to find his face equally incredulous.

"Food, Asher. Everyone needs it. Even me."

He scowls and I turn away again to hide my smirk. Now I know why Melanie is always pissing him off on purpose. It's way too entertaining. "I just meant this looks really good. The experience is obvious."

Grabbing his fork for him I decide to give him a break. I lean back against the fridge as he digs in, stuffing his mouth unceremoniously. Fucker eats like a madman. "Used to cook for my grandfather and I. He was hopeless in the kitchen and I was a growing boy so I had to figure it out. I enjoy it now."

"Was?" His chewing slows.

"Passed away four years ago," I confirm.

Asher blinks and sets his place down. "How come you never told us, man? Maybe if it was when you first joined Fighter's Den, sure, but we were all pretty tight even four years ago. We would have came to the funeral and been there for you."

"If I was the Wolfe I am now, yeah I would have told you guys. But four years ago...you guys never really knew me. You're my boys but we all had our secrets. Shit wasn't the same."

"Guess that's true," He looks thoughtful for a moment. "Do you feel like we didn't try hard enough to get to know you? Because Lenny cracked you in months and you've known us for six years. That's on us, huh?"

"No," I shift a little uncomfortably. "That was definitely on me. I didn't want anyone to know me and I didn't want to know anyone. You can't lose people if you don't even have them right? But I'm working on that."

"No kidding," He clears his throat and both of us stuff into our plates, momentarily ignoring each other. That got a little too soft. I'm grateful when Asher changes the subject. "Cameron's never going to leave you alone once he finds out. You know that, right?"

"Don't remind me," I mutter. I can only imagine the kind of chaos he's going to cause in my wake. "I'm prolonging it as long as possible."

"Have any idea when you want to give it a shot with the rest of the guys?"

"I'll do it when it's necessary. Right now I'm trying to get used to talking to someone other than Mel, so I want to take my time."

"Mel," He smirks. "I was wondering why she started going by Melanie again. Figures it was your doing."