3: Paper Trail(40's Stucky)

Chapter Summary: Steve is having a bad week... but not for long.

   Chapter Soundtrack: Hey There Delilah by Plain White T's

   Sorry, this one took a while. Love you guys;*

   At first, it had been the stray dog.

   The stray dog that had chased him all the way home back from the theater, barking and snarling. Steve had been in the middle of an asthma attack by the time he finally got past the door, and Bucky hadn't been there to bring him down. He was working back at the docks. Then, because of that stupid dog, he'd been late to mass, and all of the mothers gave him dirty looks when he came in during the middle of service.

   Then, it was Brent Conner, a big, mean-spirited guy who didn't care who he punched. Steve had taken a fist to the face for Becky Kitcher, the girl whose hair ribbon he had snatched off of her head. He came home that day with a bruised nose and a bloody lip, as well as little more than a hasty 'thank you' from Becky. Bucky'd chewed him out for getting into another fight.

   Next, it was the wind. He'd been walking down the street, newspaper that he'd paid 5 cents for, when a heavy gust came out of nowhere, blowing it out of his hands. Papers scattered across the street, becoming soiled by the fresh mud and puddles from that morning's rain.

   And so, of course, then there had to be a thunderstorm on his way home from the store. His clothes had been soaked through to the bone, and he'd gotten mud on his slacks. By the time that he had finally finished the walk home, he'd caught a cold, and Bucky couldn't do much more than dip a washcloth in warm water and drape it over forehead until he could afford some drugs from the corner store.

   And you can't forget about layoff at the docks. Steve had been so scared that Bucky was gonna lose his job that he'd started having nightmares, and he didn't get any sleep at night. Bucky had started getting cranky cause he'd been forced to lay off the cigarettes, for fear that they'd run out of money.

   Finally, there'd been the incident at the ball. Bucky had taken him out dancing, and, well he didn't dance. So, while Bucky danced with women, he'd sat in the corner, until he decided to get up for a drink. He'd gotten a cup of water and had been heading back to his seat, when a gal had come out of nowhere and they'd run smack into each other. Low and behold, he'd spilled his drink all over her pretty dress. He'd tried to apologize and gotten a slap in the face in return, as well as a round out of laughter from Bucky on the way home.

   Sunday, Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday, Thursday, Friday... the days had all ticked by to make up one awful week, until only Saturday was left.

   Saturday morning, Steve had woken up determined to stay home all day, where he thought nothing bad would be able to happen to him.

   Of course, considering Steve's luck, that just couldn't happen. When he'd gone into the kitchen, he saw a note on the table from Bucky, along with 75 cents.

   I need you to go the corner store and pick up bread and milk. I'll be working late.

   -Bucky.

   Steve sighed, dragging his hand through his hair and rolling his head back. Well, he thought. I guess with the way this week's been going, I should've seen this coming. Nonetheless, he pulled his boots on and dutifully made the walk to the corner store, forking over the change for a loaf of bread and a carton of milk. Unsurprisingly, he'd had trouble with a guy in line with him when he said something smart to the woman behind him, catcalling her when she asked him to stop talking to her.