'Accident'-ally In Love

I was lying on my bed when I heard my phone ring. It was on the bedside table. I was staring at the ceiling wondering what Rachel was doing and thinking of what a great Christmas this had turned out to be. I looked sideways at the phone before rolling over lazily and reaching for it. It occurred to me that it may be Rachel so I jumped up excitedly to see who it was.

Yes, it was Rachel. I took a deep breath, preparing myself before answering. "Hello, Rach," I said nervously. I didn't know of she'd be yelling at me or what, but deep down, I had a fluttery feeling in my stomach and it told me that it was bad news.

"No, this is Nurse Peters from the New York District Hospital," Oh, no! This was bad. "Rachel Berry is the occupant of this phone number, yes?" The nurse asked me. I froze momentarily, my lips physically would not move.

"U-uh. Y-yes," I stuttered as I began. "Yes she is," I pronounced more confidently, needing only a seconds pause.

"Thank you. She has been involved in a car accident and your number was on the screen of her phone. Would you mind coming down to the hospital so that we could get you to identify the victim?" She sounded so serious, with a little hint of compassion in her voice, though I was expecting more from a nurse, especially considering the circumstances.

"Y-yeah, I'll be right there." I still didn't have a full grasp of what was happening. Was she playing some kind of trick on me as payback? This was my entire fault. If I hadn't thought of myself, as usual, she would still be here. Not in the hospital. And she wouldn't have tried to call me and almost get herself killed. She could be dead, for all I know. I'm not there, I don't know and they would save that kind of information for face to face contact. If I hadn't told her I loved her, she wouldn't have tried to call me and she wouldn't be in hospital.

I had brought myself a car once I got more settled and I rushed down to the street, jumping in and wasting as little time as possible.

I didn't realise I was going that fast until I looked down at the speedo and saw the high register. I slowed quickly; images from my crash in senior year came flooding back. And if I was in a car crash that would be of no help to Rachel, two people in hospital with no one to help them. The time seemed to drag on as I drove there. Why is it that always at the worst times, time slows down? It should slow at the great moments and times that we wish could go on forever that always seem to end too soon.

After spending too long looking for a park I rushed through the sliding doors. I had no idea what level to go to or who to see, so I just headed straight to the reception desk to enquire. "I'm here to see Rachel Berry. She was involved in a... accident..." I blurted out at the lady. I was rushed and hadn't even said hello and she seemed so cheery I felt a little bad, but they weren't the best circumstances and it wasn't the thing at the front of my mind.

"Yes Miss." She tapped away at her computer, eyes scanning the screen. She must have felt my urgency and was going as quick as she could to find her name and details. "Section A, Room 13. Head down this corridor here, turn left and you'll walk straight into it," she gave me directions, using her arms to point the direction.

"Thank you," I said and managed a little smile before rushing off again. I was moving at a fast pace, close to a run or a jog. I ran straight into the doorway of it as she had said I would. I looked through the window that was partially covered with slat blinds. A nurse was by the bed and blocking out most of Rachel's body and the bed. I knocked gently and eased open the door.

The nurse spun to look at me, on alert for anyone not meant to be there. "You must be Quinn," was the first thing she spoke to me. She is the woman that called me here.

"Hello. How is she?" I moved to her bedside, taking a place next to the nurse.

"She's stable, and asleep obviously," it was a short answer, but what more could I have expected.