10 - Goodbye my Dearest

•••••
"With utmost regrets we have to inform you that we will have to postpone our journey for a few days. We will not make it in time for the season opening to congratulate your son. We send our regards and gifts in advance. Expect us in a week at most. All the best wishes from Spain."

- Excerpt from correspondence to the King of America
•••••

The halls of the palace were even grander than I had imagined them to be, putting the halls and corridors I saw before to shame. The high ceilings were all made from glass and gave ample lighting to the halls, which had a dark green tone to them, while Men and women of the past lined the walls in large oil paintings or photographs. Their grandiose presence only increased by golden statues and chandeliers. The marble floors with a dark green carpentry lead to grand staircases which took one to the higher floors of the palace. We were lead through the open maze by five footmen who directed us to our quarters in the west wing of the palace.

"The royal family resides on the top floor, which you will have to stay beneath."
The footman who was responsible for taking me to my new quarters said in a stern voice as we walked down a hall parting from the other girls.

"Under no circumstances are you allowed to go up there. While you are free to explore the halls of the palace as you wish, this is the only strict exception. The royal floor is off-limit! Go against this and there will be consequences!" He exclaimed drilling me the first of many new rules into my head.

"The third floor is where you, other state representatives, and the other unmarried women of the court are residing. In your wing you will find the Ladies' parlour, the Ladies' dining hall, a music room, and various conference rooms and salons at your disposal. Rooms for other entertainment purposes have to be scheduled for use. The sports facilities can be accessed on the ground floor's north and east wing. The second floor is for guests of the palace, such as foreign dignitaries, politicians or high military officials as well as married folk of court. Going there would only be appropriate if you had business, so please out of courtesy refrain from meddling with political affairs or starting other kind of affairs, if you get my drift."

His small mole like eyes gave me a serious look, indicative to me that the old men did not have the highest regard for women who were politically ambitious, or maybe even just women in general. I quickly nod, hoping my growing distain for the man wouldn't show on my face as he continued on the palace's structures and unspoken social cues for it's residents.
"The first floor is occupied by the unmarried men of America's court. Lords, Knights and other state representatives like you."

He made a pause and let out a sigh
"Let me be blunt with you once again. I would also strongly advise against mingling there. In general, it is not befit for men and women of court to be seen together anywhere near their quarters. If you must, please meet them in the plentiful common areas of the ground floor - chaperoned preferably. There are more than enough parlours, the grand library and the garden to meet. Though intimate relationships are strictly forbidden. Understood?"
He asked me when we came to a halt in front of a door with had a silver metal plate engraved with my name on it.

"Yes, sir. Thank you for informing me."
I say with a sarcastic smile on my face with faltered as soon as he turned around to go on his way again.

"Before I'll leave you be, my Lady." The old man spoke up again Haltung in his steps and slowly turning around.

"In the coming days you will be bombarded with all sorts of more cues and regulations. Just know the palace is not forgiving. It is not lenient and they will cast you out to the streets if they must. So always hold yourself with dignity, grace and mind your own business."