19 - Efforts not in Vain

••••
"What a beautiful girl."
"Indeed."
"Is she one of the companions as well?"
"Yes, she is."
"I see."
"But she is the most unladylike of them all."
"How come?"
"You know today at noon she saw me sparring with a friend of mine and actually joined.You wouldn't believe it, but I had underestimated her. Not only pretty but also sly. She managed to disarm me."
"Oh my, certainly unexpected. How did she manage that?"
"Never seen something like that. One moment she was in front of me, next thing I know she turns around me and flings my sword into her hand. She seemed surprised as well."
"How curious. An American girl knowing a Spanish combat trick..."
••••

The world around me stopped. My heart stopped. Everything stopped. Maybe nothing of that happened, but I was more than just startled. So much so I let out a shriek. The prince laughed a bit at that. "I am sorry. I didn't mean to startle you." All while I tried not to hyperventilate. Don't be nervous. Don't be nervous. I looked into the calm face of the crown prince. "Are you alright, my dear." I snapped at that. "I am not your dear" I tried to say calmly." He seemed amused. "Well you haven't told me how I should call you." Princess Lilliana Emilia Anessa Hecores of Amarett. But cat had my tongue as they said in America, I believe. "Leah, just Leah." I stated curtly instead. "What a wonderful name it is. Pleasure, I am his Highness Prince Stefán of Spain." I swallowed and answered "Pleasant". He studied me. "Well Prince Eric told me you were not the most ladylike of them all, but your shyness does definitely not match his description" he sat down next to me. I scooted away. Unladylike. How could he even talk about me with my enemy! "Well I am sorry for you, that your given description didn't match. If you are looking for alternative woman to bore, there are serval others waiting for you!" I say with poised tongue and pursing my lips. "Feisty, chica." He said switching to Spanish.

I stare right into his face.
Breath Leah, breath. "Stop with the nicknames."
His stare was holding mine with amusement twinkling in his eyes as he leaned his head on his palm, making himself comfortable on the bench. "But how amusing it is to see you like this. All riled up." I wanted to slap that smug grin right off his face so so badly. But I remained silent "Where are you from?" He asks casually, still looking me up and down. It made me anxious to my core, but I couldn't let him see that. "Drummers State, up north."

The prince nodded. "What about your parents?"

My hands were damp with cold sweat. "Why you wanna know?"

The prince smiled oblivious to my distress. "Well the prince told me how you disarmed him today. I found it quite interesting, as the technique you used was a Spanish one. So I thought maybe you were in some part Spanish."

I exhaled with relief. "I do not know. My father never told me anything regards that before they both died." I lied and the prince nodded solemnly.

"I am sorry to hear that, my Lady. I didn't mean to pry." His eyes averted from mine. "Well then how did you learn how to fight with a sword?"

I quickly think of a story close enough to the truth and tell him how I wanted to play with the boys on the streets with their sticks and had only let me join them reluctantly and after seeing how bruised I came home he taught me some tricks of his own. I look up to the starry sky in hopes the tears welling in my eyes would dry quicker this way.

"What about you?" I ask in hopes to make a friendly conversation to divert his attention from me.

"If you believe it or not, I didn't start my swords fight in the palace, but very much on the streets like you" he smiles to himself. "The older boys would try to steal our food or the little sweets Mama sometimes gave us. So I had to defend my younger brother and so I learned to pick up a sword and when my father saw what I was doing with his sword he went to get one forged for me on my next birthday. I was turning 13 that day. And so I learned and learned and when the revolution came my father had to lead and here I am." He said it so nonchalantly.

The revolution came and here I am. "How brave of you" I said almost snapping at him but I calmed myself. "Thank you for your story, your Highness. Please excuse me I must go back inside. It does not suit a Lady to be alone in Male company without a chaperone for so long." I say before tears of anger dared to spill with the rest of my resolve with it.

"I see, my Lady, and I thought we were just getting to know each other." He says looking slightly dumbfounded.

"I am sorry, but I have no interest in such, your Highness." I said and left with a curtsy rushing to get as far away as possible once again.

My mind was thrown into turmoil.

Was it worth my life to see the shock on his face? Have I come so far, just to bask in the satisfaction to know that he, the one who stole it all with his family, did not succeed? The look on his face when I tell him that I am in fact the Princess that they thought to be dead? 

No. I decided. It was not. I had to make it through the week, as far away from any royal possible and my freedom would be granted for the foreseeable future. I must live. I remind myself over and over again. But at what cost? My mind shouts back. A life in constant fear, constant anxiety? My instinct to survive greater than following a purpose. I must live for them. I remind myself again. For all the lives lost to save my own. For the people who thought greater of me than their own life. For all those harmed because of me. If I do not take action with my own life, their sacrifice will be in vain. And from now the Spanish prince and the royal family are simply that. Some Royals. If I wanted to see the next week and live a free woman I had to be the good companion and stay strong.

Papa did not grow a little weakling, he raised the strongest. He would say and pat me on my little head.

Papa, I miss you so dearly. Please help me stay strong, for I knew you had done the same. Mama, I miss you so dearly. Please help me stay kind, for I knew you would have always been. God help me stay safe, for now and for all, as I am you daughter. Grant me today and the morrow, for I will make you proud. Let me stand tall to all that lies ahead or lie me down with a shroud.
I whisper this prayer to myself in Spanish intended for my ears only to hear, but I should have known : the palace always listens.

•••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••

Hey there,
Hope you enjoy the story

See you for the next chapter & don't forget to vote :D