Chapter 3

Serena's POV,

The cold water enveloped my whole body. Everything was so sudden. Hindi man lang ako nakahagilap ng hangin at pakiramdam ko ay nauubusan na ako ng lakas.

I can no longer hold my breath. My whole body is being numb. The darkness.. it is slowly consuming me. I think I should give in. I was about to surrender everything but something soft cover my lips. And there.. at that moment, I saw a flicker of light and a strand of hope. I was able to escape that almost unfortunate oblivion.

Then I suddenly return to my senses nang kumalas ang mga labi sya mula sa akin. Nagsimula na syang lumangoy habang hindi pa rin binibitawan ang aking kamay. Wala akong nagawa kung hindi sumunod at magpatianod sa mga alon at sa kanya.

After recovering from an unexpected dive ay natauhan ako sa nangyari. What the hell?

That was a quick move. All my life, palagi akong nandidito sa lighthouse because this is my comfort zone, my safe haven pero kahit kailan ay hindi sumagi sa isip kong tumalon mula dito.

And that.. Was that a.. Kiss? No it's not. I shouldn't think about it. I am certain he did it on purpose because I am running out of air. Besides it's his fault anyway. He had no choice and he can't let me die. Oh right. I should just forget about it. It does not mean anything.

Hindi ko na namalayan kung gaano na kalayo ang narating namin ng umahon kami.

My body is shivering from the coldness and my lips are trembling. Sunod-sunod na ring nagpapatakan ang aking mga luha at humahalo na ito sa tubig dagat. My vision is still a bit blurry because of the seawater and my heart is pounding fast. I want to speak but my mouth can't even utter a single word.

All my life, I always admire the sea and everything in it. I thought I am already familiar with it. But at that moment, I was scared. Maybe I only explore the shallow places but not the deeper ones. It used to be my escape and my salvation but at that moment, it nearly killed me.

"Are you.. okay?" he asked. Is that the tone of concern? Drop it man. I don't need it.

"I asked you to leave immediately and I didn't asked you to take me with you. And who are they? No—who are you?!"

I can't remember the last time I got mad. No—I think I never got mad in my entire life. My name Serena matches my personality—serene and calm. But this man just trigger my calm emotion.

I wiped my tears and turn away. I looked up at the sky to keep my tears from falling off my cheeks.

"Look.. I just wanted a peaceful life. I help you because.. that's what I do! If I know that I am capable of helping someone, why wouldn't I? But this.. this—This is too much! You—you nearly killed me!"

That's it. I broke down to tears.

"I even lied even though I don't usually do it and I feel guilty for that."

There I am. Crying like a baby. Crying as if it will make any difference.

"I'm sorry if I dragged you into this. Don't worry. I'll leave but I want to make sure you're safe first."

"No. I am safe without you! That's the least thing you can do. Please, I said leave me alone."

I tried to run away from him but I failed to notice the rock in front of me. I avoided it but it's too late, I tripped.

At first, I don't mind it pero mas lalo ako naluha nang may nakitang sugat sa aking tuhod. Why is this happening to me? I asked for a miracle, why did the heaven gave me this?

Then I remember those armed men. Damn. My father! He's probably home by now. I need to go back.

Dali-dali akong tumayo ngunit dahil na rin sa sa sakit ng katawan at matinding init ng araw ay bumagsak ang katawan ko.