Epilogue

Seth's POV,

"Seth baby, diba promise ni mama sa iyo na pupunta tayo ng Philippines to visit my home town? Huwag kang mag-alala. Malapit na iyon.."

Sariwa pa sa aking isipan ang mga huling alaala ko sa aking ina. Mariin at walang muwang akong nakatitig sa tuwalyang pumupunas sa aking buhok matapos niya akong paliguan. Ang mga salita ay tuluyan nang nilamon ng sunod-sunod niyang pag-ubo kaya't wala na rin akong naintindihan pa doon.

I was formally diagnosed with early signs of autism when I was two years old. I had all the hallmark symptoms. I avoided eye contact to people. I didn't respond to my own name. I never pointed out what I really wanted. I was even interested in my mother's paintings to the point of obsession. I also had intense reactions to certain sensations, and mundane procedures. Even getting a simple haircut was traumatic for me. Seeing sharp objects like scissors on my hair was enough to make me writhe and scream.

The reasons why my parents were very careful and patient with me. Scared that it might affect me while growing up, they put me in intensive program of behavioral therapy for diagnosis. With my parents undying love and support, I no longer met the criteria of autism and recovered when I reached my first grade.

My father, Admiral Lucas Jansen serves the country as a navy. Mataas ang katungkulan nito kaya't madalas ay wala siya sa bahay dahil na rin sa uri ng trabaho nito pero kahit na kailan ay hindi siya nagkulang bilang ama sa akin at asawa sa aking ina.

"Seth, your Auntie Hilda will visit us this morning. Why don't you go with me to the poultry and get some eggs? Hmm?"

I nodded and held her hand. We went to the farm together with a basket on her left hand and my hand on her right. She was humming on our way to the farm.

The heavy smell of the chicken poultry welcomed us. I was holding one egg on my hand when it suddenly hatch and a chick appear through the broken shells. I immediately called my mother to show her the baby chicken in my hand.

I tucked the hem of her shirt and showed her the chick in my hand with a big smile plastered on my face. I witnessed how her eyes twinkle in amusement. She even took a photo of me holding it.

"Good job, baby. But you should handle it with care. Come on, loosen your hold a bit. Nasasakal na yung sisiw oh." aniya at ginulo ang aking buhok.

"Oh? Is that so? Okay." I giggled and let the little chick go. She chuckled and her dimples appeared just like mine. Little did I know, that would be the last time I would see her smile like that.

"Mama?"

Minsang silip ko sa kaniyang kwarto dahil hindi ako makatulog. Gabi-gabi ko na lamang naririnig ang walang tigil niyang pagpipigil ng ubo na unti-unting ring nilalamon ng kaniyang mumunting mga hikbi.

She immediately hid the handkerchief she was holding but it was too late because my eyes already saw the red thing on it. It was blood. Since I was still very young that time, I have no idea that it was something serious, something I should've payed attention more to.

"Why baby? You can't sleep? Are the monsters bothering you again? Do you want mama to sing you a lullaby until you fall asleep?"

My mother carried me to her bed. She cuddled me in her arms and sang me to sleep. She was stroking my hair while doing it.

Then a large bang downstairs woke me up. Kinapa ko ang aking gilid ngunit hindi ko natagpuan ang aking ina. Bumangon ako sa kama at kinusot ang magkabilang mata. I can still hear the noises from downstairs.

Bumaba ako sa kama at tinahak ang daan patungo sa baba. Nanlaki ang aking mata sa aking nadatnan. I saw three men harassing my mother, the other one is strangling her neck. My small fist clenched in anger. Tanging pula lamang ang nakikita ng aking mata sa sobrang galit na nag-aalab sa kaibuturan ko.