chapter eleven. house of tunnels

☾ ☽

☾ ☽

            "Who are you?!"

            I stare down at Nina and the woman in the smoke, feeling my heartrate pick up at the sight of her. She's here, in Frobisher Library. And Nina is yelling at her. Nina can see her. She knows something she's not telling me. Sweet shushes her, and in the blink of an eye, the woman in the smoke disappears. And it looks like to everyone but me that she was yelling at thin air.

            "Nina," Alfie says to her, dressed in pharaoh garb and chained to the second level of Frobisher Library, "you're making me look normal."

            I point at him without taking my eyes off my roommate. "And that's not a good thing, Nina."

            Nina, caught yelling at something no one else could see, glances around, and then she appears to cover up for it by turning to Fabian and saying loudly, "Who—who are you, to break up with me and then send me text messages saying you still like me?!"

            There's a moment's worth of hesitation before Fabian replies, "I guess I'm just a crazy person."

            He's not the only one...

            "You were sending her text messages," Joy speaks up, staring at Fabian with betrayed eyes, "while I was doing the presentation. Classy, Fabian."

            "I simple cannot apologize enough, Mr. Ziestack," Victor says to him, and it occurs to me that Nina's outburst may have possibly cost us the exhibition, and I can't afford that.

            But fortunately, Ziestack replies, "No need, Victor. Their youthful zest," Amber appears out of nowhere and starts dragging me down the stairs, "confirms that I've made the right choice. I like the pupils here."

            Amber pulls me over to Fabian and Nina, remarking, "I knew Fabina was still super mushy. It's written all over your faces."

            "I think it's a cover story," Fabian says.

            "Cover? For what?"

            "Amber, Ashley," Nina says reluctantly as she looks between us, "this is something we have to do on our own."

            "Come on, you guys, there's no I in Sibuna."

            Did...did she just say that with a straight face, completely serious? I close my eyes, shaking my head. Amber Millington, I swear...

            "There is, actually, Amber," Fabian tells her, both halves of Fabina with the same exasperated expression on their faces.

            "S-I-B-U-N-A," I spell out, emphasizing the letter. She's the one who came up with it anyway, shouldn't she know how to spell it?