chapter sixty-one. house of trades

☾ ☽

☾ ☽

            "So what you're saying is," Amber recaps the conversation as we walk into the dining room for breakfast, "that in four billion years this galaxy is going to collide with ours, and then we all die."

            Nina hums thoughtfully as I nod and add, "Unless we're all wiped out first by global warming stuff. Don't worry, by the time the galaxies collide, we'll all be gone. It is four billion years away."

            Fabian looks between the three of us confused and asks, "Why is this a topic of conversation?"

            "Ashley saw an article about it," Nina answers before tilting her head at him. "You didn't think we only talk about boys and Egyptian mysteries all the time, did you?"

            "Well—well, of course not," Fabian stammers. My roommates and I share an amused glance. "It just seems like kind of an odd conversation. Especially given everything else we've got going on." He looks at the three of us pointedly as he waves his locked phone at us.

            I reply, "Too early for zodiac stuff."

            "Because talking about the galaxy imploding is far more reassuring."

            "Glad you understand us, Fabian," I retort, throwing my arm around him. "I like to call us Namberley. No, wait, that doesn't sound nice."

            Nina disagrees, "No, I like it. I also like Ambinaley..." I scrunch my nose up, shaking my head as she does the same. They both sound much better in thoughts than saying them out loud. "We can come up with a better name for the three of us, can't we?"

            Amber nods calmly as we take our seats. "Leave it to me."

            The conversation is interrupted by Patricia walking into the living room with her double AKA her identical twin sister Piper following behind her. "You're all probably wondering who this is," Patricia states. Jerome literally gasps and covers his mouth at the sight of Piper. Alfie looks amazed, and Fabian and Nina look incredibly confused. The rest of us (that'd be me, Joy, Amber, Mara, and also Eddie?) must've already known, because there's no surprise on their faces. "This is Piper."

            I elbow Amber pointedly as she puts books in her locker, remarking, "So, seems that it was actually Piper you saw flirting with Alfie, not Patricia." Amber hums. How do I get her to admit she's jealous because of it? How would she get me to admit I'm jealous...I've got it. "Wow, imagine Alfie dating a Williamson. Though they could be cute."

            Amber scoffs lightly. "No, they wouldn't."

            "Aha!" I exclaim. "You're jealous."

            "I am not jealous."

            "Tell that to the jealousy you're feeling."