chapter eighty-nine. house of the chosen

☾ ☽

☾ ☽

            Helplessly, we watch as Nina puts the Mask of Anubis on her face. Amber and I grab each other's arms while Fabian desperately shouts Nina's name. Senkhara looks pleased with herself. But...nothing happens. No giant flash of light like with the Cup of Ankh, no sound of the heavens or hell opening above or below us. No rumbling. Nothing's happening.

            "Why is nothing happening?" Senkhara demands, frustrated and angry. Nina lowers the Mask from her face and Senkhara floats forward. "You are not the paragon. Give the Mask to the Bringer of Death."

            Okay, not what I expected to hear, but I think I know what to do. Nina glances at me and I nod, taking the Mask from her. If nothing happened to her, nothing will happen to me. Right? Amber shouts my name as I put the Mask to my face, but like before, nothing happens. Something's wrong.

            "You are not the one either," says Senkhara, floating backward. Nina takes the Mask back. "I shall have to seek my champion elsewhere. You? It is over."

            Senkhara disappears in a cloud of black smoke. Nina screams, just as the Mark on my arm starts burning. I exclaim in pain, holding my arm as the pain worsens and worsens. Fabian and Amber are doing the same where their Marks are, as well as Nina.

            Joy's the odd one out as she asks worriedly, "What is it? What's wrong?!"

            "It's Senkhara!" I tell her, pressing my hand against my arm harder, like applying pressure will help the pain. It's really not.

            "Senkhara!" Nina shouts. "Senkhara, wait! Please!" Her locket is glowing. Her locket is glowing! "My locket, my locket! Ashley, your charm!" I glance down at the charm for a second. It's glowing as well. Another clue, like before! "Something's happening!"

            "But what?!" I retort, at a loss for what clue we could possibly have left considering we have the Mask of Anubis!

            Nina looks at the Mask and gasps. "This isn't the true Mask, Senkhara." What?! "This is the final clue! It was meant for me! I am the one you need to stop this! Please!"

            Senkhara appears again, looking to the wall to our right. A light shoots out from the Mask in Nina's hands and she points it toward the wall so we can all see what's happening. Writing is appearing on the wall. Our final clue. Senkhara orders, "Read."

            Nina reads our final clue aloud, "'The true mask still waits hidden for all to see. The portal of the mind awakes. The Paragon is the key.'"

            The words disappear the second Senkhara does. The true mask still waits hidden for all to see.

            "What does that mean?" Amber asks.