The Box (Ee-Urr)

Some time later, I woke up. I stirred around, quickly realizing that I was still laying on top of Chez. One of her arms was still wrapped around me, and the other was a few inches away from her face. I guessed she was scrolling her social media feed. "Hey." she greeted. "Hey." I replied. "How long was I out?" I asked. Chez checks the time. "'Bout two and a half hours." she says. "You feel better, now?" she asked me. I nod, but say nothing. "You hungry?" she asks. I nod my head again. "Okay, let me go whip something up." she says. I nod my head and roll over so she can get up. I wiped my eyes and picked up my own phone to see what I had missed over the past day or so. All of a sudden, it occurred to me to unblock her on everything. Fifteen or so minutes later, she calls out. "Mick!" At the sound of her voice, I stood up; tossing my cellphone on the bed and walked into the kitchen.

I walked past Chez as she was spooning something onto a plate. It smelled good. I walk towards my sink and put some hand soap on, turning the water on shortly after. "What is that?" I asked Chez, while running my soapy hands under the water, then lathering them. "I dunno, one of the little ten minute dinner things. This one is..." she says, pausing. I hear the crinkle of a bag. "This one is beef and broccoli noodles." I finish washing my hands and shut the water off, snatching a paper towel from the dispenser. As I dry my hands, I sit at my table, as she instructed me to do. I witness her opening the oven door, bending over in an exaggerated way, picking up the pan. I giggle at her, as she takes out the pan of what looked like garlic bread with her protected hand. As soon as she put the pan down and shut the oven door, she took the oven mitt off and sat two pieces of garlic bread on both plates. After she puts a fork on top of each plate, she sets mine in front of me, simultaneously giving me a peck. She sat hers down across from mine. Then she walked back to the fridge, taking out a carton of fruit punch. She pours some into two small glasses and after putting the carton back, sits the glasses down next to our plates. Then, she sits down. "Thank you for cooking, I appreciate it." I said. I take a bite of the food and immediately smile. She giggled. "I didn't cook anything, I just warmed some shit up. One of these days I'ma really throw down in here, make you fall in love... again." she said, smirking. I shake my head, picking up some of the noodles with my fork. Chez puts her hands together and bows her head. I chew slowly as I realized she was praying over her food. I felt a little guilty for not doing so myself. Once she pops her head back up, she begins eating. "I would've prayed with you!" I said. Maybe I only remembered the second grade version of the food blessing, but it would have sufficed... I think. She giggled. "It's fine, I prayed on your behalf." I smiled back at her. "Good, I'm trying to be protected from food poisoning, too." I said. She giggled. "How's the food?" she asked. "I love it, especially 'cause you made it." I said.

After getting through the meal, Chez directed my attention to a letter I got, on top of a small cardboard box. "You walked straight past it when you came in." she said. I rolled my eyes. "I saw it, I just didn't feel like entertaining it." I reply. "You open it, shit." She shrugs. "Okay," she says, looking at me as she blindly opens up the envelope. She takes the letter out and unfolds it. Then she starts reading. After she read it, I grabbed it from her.
It said:
My Dearest Michaela,
No matter how much you try to distance yourself from me, just know we're forever linked. Our night together was a movie I've played over and over in my head, and I'm ready for the sequel. I want to formally invite you to a private screening. You'll have to see for yourself what the movie entails. You do have a say in how much blood appears, though. I'll see you at the campsite directly behind the Marsden Movie Theater this coming Friday at 6:00 PM. Be there or be dead.
XOXO, Jane 💋

"We're forever linked..." I whispered lowly. "Our night together was a movie...." I repeated, furrowed my eyebrows. Was she suggesting we had a past rendezvous or something? "This has to be somebody from my past." I said. Chez scoffs. "Of course you have some old girls trying to snatch you back up." she says, under her breath. I shoot her a look to let her know I heard that shit. "Well, does that clue help you narrow the list, any?" she asks. "Um, it eliminates Syd and Tina. There's still plenty more suspects left." I admitted. "I used to be out here before I finally got locked down." I tell her. She giggled. "Nothing you could have possibly did could be any worse than what I did. So, let's hear this list." she says. She cleared our plates as I tried to think back to some of my past jumpoffs. "Okay, so there was Dawn, Lashawn, Inez and Alicia." I said. "Be serious!" she nags. I mocked her and got back to thinking who I had slept with. "Okay.... uh, that leaves me with Dia, Courtney, Slim, Isa, Kim, Larissa, Ali, and.... somebody else." I thought aloud.
"Slim? Mick, please tell me you're not talking about Slim Martinez." she said, coming back to the table. "I'm talking about Slim Martinez, girl." I confirmed. "How the fuck did you end up with Slim?"
"I was like 17. I wanted her and she wanted me, and boom, that's all we needed."
She gasped. "Mick, I think that's who is behind all this."
I furrowed my eyebrows. "Slim? It's been waaaay too long for her to still be worried about me."
She chuckled wryly. "Oh, she's certainly the type to hold onto severe grudges."
"How you know that?" I ask.
"'Cause I know her and she's always been ridiculous. She is still will not leave me alone over our situation." she said, shaking her head. Situation? I furrow my eyebrows.
"You slept with her, too?" I asked.
"She was my girlfriend, Mick. I finally dipped after I had enough of her sleeping with everybody else. At least I know she had good taste in women."
"Are you seriously complimenting her jumpoffs? If I were you, I'd have called each one of those hoes a horsefaced bitch, that's just me." I asked. She giggled. "Maybe I felt that way about them when I was angry, but I wound up being cool with some of them immediately after, others somewhere down the line."
"I'm petty. I absolutely could not be cool with anybody that I was cheated on, with." I say, chuckling. She grinned. "You gon' really die when you hear this... one of 'em, I ended up fucking."
"Chez, what the hell is wrong with you?" I asked, with my jaw open. I'd heard of people revenge fucking their ex's jumpoffs, but never thought she'd partake in it.

"So, what happened with her?" I asked. She giggled. "She's still a part of my life. Matter of fact, I'm looking right at her." It took me a second to connect the dots. "Me? I was one of the jumpoffs?" She cackles. "Yes. And for the record, I don't think you're a horsefaced bitch." I blink a few times. "Wait, how are you so sure Slim cheated on you, with me?" I ask, looking at her crazy. "I found your old Bert and Ernie shirt when I packed your bag. I just thought it was a coincidence 'til literally just now." she said. I gasped. I did have an old Bert and Ernie shirt that I wore as pajamas these days. It had gone missing for a little bit, until Slim gave it back.

"She kept me a secret and openly flirted with other girls in my face. It was especially bad when I did something to piss her off. One day I found an black t-shirt with a picture of Bert and Ernie flipping each other off in her bathroom. I woke her ass up and threw it at her. She couldn't explain it away, so I calmly walked out of her room and into her older brother's. And that's when I got pregnant." she admitted.
"Gio is Lilo's dad?" I asked. She nods slowly. "Holy shit." I said. "That probably explains why you think Slim is after me." She nods. "She's terrorized all of my exes as soon as we started dating and in some cases, slept with them. She's crazy."
"I gotta say, I'm on her side in all this. Terrorism aside, I totally understand." I admitted, with a raised eyebrow. She chuckled.
"I was 15, Mick. It's safe to say I wasn't in my right mind. I don't regret it one bit." she said, probably thinking of Lilo. I pursed my lips. "I don't have a sibling, but if we break up and you fuck Syd, I gotta kill you." I said, staring into her eyes. She rolls her eyes. " I do the threatening around here." she said, causing us both to giggle.
"Back to the letter!" I declare, focusing on the letter. "Wait.. Chez, what was the name of the movie we went to go see? "
"Linked." she replied. I gasped. "Chez, she had her eyes on us when we were away for the weekend." I said. "Mick, I'm not leaving you here to be by yourself." she declared. I roll my eyes. "I'm a big girl. I can handle myself if it ever comes down to it." She chuckles incredulously. "Did you or did you not just tell me this crazy bitch followed us all the way out to the hotel?" she asked. "Slim is not going to do anything to me, Chez. It's not me she wants, it's you. She's just trying to scare me away to get at you, probably. Ignore it."
She then opens the box and gasps as soon as she sees what's in it. I look into it and the hairs on the back of my neck stand straight up. It was a sparkling silver machete.
"This is the kinda crazy shit I was talking about, Mick! You can't downplay Slim's crazy!I'm staying, period." she declares again.
"I know you've got your hands full with Lilo." I said.
"Gio's back in town for few weeks, so he's gonna have her full-time until then. She'll be there till he goes back to Kuwait."
I nod. "You still don't have to do this." I reminded her.
"Yes, I do." she said, with conviction.
I took a deep breath. "Fine." I noticed I was shaking a little, but I didn't say anything. I didn't wanna appear scared 'cause I didn't want Chez going overboard. "You wait here." she said, walking in the direction of my room. I reread the rest of the letter and bit my lip out of nervousness. Slim was going too far with this, and I had to figure out how to stop her. She wouldn't get away with this.
A few minutes later, Chez calls for me, and I toss the letter on top of the table and go to her. I found her in the bathroom. She had run me a bubble bath. "I know you're in pain and probably extra stressed right now, so I figured you could use something relaxing." she said. I smiled at her. "I already grabbed some PJs for you, I got you a towel and I got the music playing. "Thank you, baby." I said. She leaves the bathroom and I rid myself of my clothes. I stick a foot in and decide that the water was hot enough for me. I put the other in, and slowly lower myself into the water. I sigh as I rest my neck on the rim of the tub. This was exactly what I needed.