- Fright -

Back when the human government had decided to let mutants live freely among humans as long as they obeyed the human laws, some mutants had rejected their decision. They had believed that the humans were simply deceiving us and all of them had gone back to their real home, the wild. I had heard stories of how those who resided in The Wilds feasted on each other, and that they lived a barbaric life. Being in the hands of one was severely frightening. I didn't want to be eaten.

The mutant sniffed me one last time before they let go of me. I struggled to keep myself awake, blinking my burning eyes rapidly. The mutant left andd another walked to me with big, powerful strides. They placed their foot on my back and harshly kicked my shoulder, causing me to turn over so that I was resting on my back. I hissed in pain. All the muscles in my body were humming due to tiredness.

I blinked mildly, trying to focus my exhausted vision. When my eyes finally tried to stay open, I could see a little better irrespective of the dark environment. The mutant was putting on some type of wooden, faceless mask that had scratch marks on it. The mask was almost reaching past their chest. They were tightly gripping some kind of slim, wooden spear which they pointed at my face, its iron tip nearly digging into my cheek.

I slowly held up my hands to show that I was innocent. "P-please... I'm—"

The mutant hissed and reeled back like I was some body of living poison. The other mutants started talking in the same language. From the way their voices were coming out, it seemed that something on my body must have scared the mutant. The one closer to me held up a hand and they all shut up.

Everywhere was quiet for a while until the mutant stabbed the muddy earth with the tip of the spear, letting it stand beside them. The mutant raised their hands and pulled off the mask. My breath hiked up at the face that was revealed. The face was feminine, fair and was filled with thick, brown scars. I couldn't make out her physique due to the attire she was putting on which covered everything.

She narrowed her lemon-coloured serpentine eyes, her grip on the mask tightening. "Where did you come from and how did you find your way to The Wilds?" she said quietly, each of her words coming out with a hiss.

My eyes dropped due to the power that her gaze held. My gaze landed on the dark green scales that graced the pale skin of her neck and I realized that she was a serpentine mutant.

She hissed loudly though her teeth, the sound bouncing of each and every corner of the dense forest. "Speak now or I shall send you to your grave."

I swallowed, my throat bobbing in fear. "I... I..." I started coughing harshly, my throat dry beyond measures. The mutant held my gaze, her expression unwavering. I pointed a finger at my throat. "Wa... ter... Wa... ter," I croaked.

The mutant slowly dragged up an eyebrow, her expression blank. She held my gaze for a few seconds before she said, "Koi."

A smallish mutant walked closer. They raised their hands and started moving their arms around in a circular motion. I gasped at the sight of a large ball of water that was forming in the area within their dancing hands.

This mutant has powers like me! I thought, keeping a firm gaze on the ball of water that was slowly coming to life from thin air.

They moved their hands for a few more second as the ball took shape. Their hands were still moving around the ball as they crouched and brought the ball to my face. I carefully eyed the ball before I opened my mouth and the water crept like a rope into my mouth. It tasted like salt and I swallowed it with caution, not wanting it to spill. My gills instantly came to life and flared in appreciation. Once the water was exhausted, the mutant rushed to their feet and moved away.