- Fierce -

One day turned to two days. Two turned to three, and four days later, I was struggling to fit in with the mutants of The Wilds. So far so good, I had been introduced to more of their special food. And what people had said about the mutants eating one another was false. So far, I hadn’t seen any mutant look at another mutant like the mutant was a meal. I don’t know why people make false assumptions of things they didn’t understand. The other day, Mos had tried to fit me in one of their cloths but they couldn’t make or get my side. As he had said, I had been residing in my own cloths. A few of the mutants—most especially Mos—had started warming up to me, particularly those who could speak English and were bold enough to question me about the human world. But a few of them, like Veena, still leered at me, hissing or growling any time I walked past them.

Since the other day, the queen had still been questioning me about all I knew of the human government’s plan. Despite me providing nothing, the queen held a stoic expression, but I could see a furious fire grow hot in her eyes. In spite of that, she still treated me like I was a part of them, unquestioning my motive or attitude. But I was still left in the fetters just in case.

At that moment, I was in one of their training grounds. Mos had invited me to come and watch as the warriors practised and sparred with one another. Some of the mutants joined them, wishing to improve on their ability to use their powers.

The training ground was a spacious field on the western part of the hidden village. The grasses there had been trimmed, making it possible for the spectators to sit on the ground and watch. As Mos dragged me to the back of the crowd, I searched the audience and saw that the queen and her chiefs were not present. Mos sat me down on the grass and took a seat beside me.

Exhaling lightly, he rubbed his palms on his laps, staring ahead. “How has your time with us been Deneb?”

“Okay,” I replied in a low tone, my eyes following Veena who was moving around. She was speaking to the current combatants—a small boy and a tall girl.

“Hmm.” Mos leaned back on his hands, sizing my body with his eyes. He huffed lightly and whined, “why are you so huge? You look out of place with that constricting cloth of yours.” He reached out and pulled at the sleeve of my cotton jacket. “How can you breathe in this?”

I shrugged a shoulder, my eyes still on Veena. She was explaining to them how to use a spear by showcasing a few movements by thrusting the air with her own spear. I shifted a little bit and the chains of my handcuffs jingled. The mutants in front of me looked back and sneered at me, their top lips raised. I dropped my head in shame, trying to look submissive. They seemed satisfied and turned their attention back to the combatants.

Mos shook his head. “Don’t let them bother you. They can’t do anything because they will be going against her Her Majesty.” He was trying to comfort me and I hummed like I was fine. He smiled at me and looked back at the combatants.

I too also stared, concentrating my gaze on the two children who were hopping from one foot to the other, warming themselves up. Veena raised her spear to the sky and shrieked a word. The crowd shouted it back.

Wanting to know what the word meant, I lightly elbowed Mos’ arm.

His eyes grew wide as he looked at me. “What?”

“That word... the word Veena just said, what does it mean?”

“Oh.” He cocked his head and said, “it simply means fight. Tíaro, ti-AH-roh.”

“Okay.” He nodded in response and I focused my gaze on the battle ground.

Veena had moved to the side to stand before the warriors. She clasped her hands behind her back, her stance like a soldier’s. She stared straight ahead and yelled a word. Instantly, the two children leapt at each other.