- Flare -

On the other side of the mat laid the burnt, decimated body of Sage Momar. More than half of his face was shriveled up, and his cloths were sticking to his burnt skin. His dark skin had totally peeled off, showcasing red flesh that was bleeding. He was barely breathing, his chest slightly rising and falling as he inhaled and exhaled, a throaty sound accompanying these actions.

Wyrm grimaced as he gazed at his body. “What happened to him?”

The female, titanic mutant raised her head at them. “We had gone to the area where the bomb had exploded and found him under a pile of stones.”

“And the rest?” Toph asked with a disgusted expression.

One of the other titanic mutant shook his head. “We think he’s the only one who survived,” he said in a gruff voice.

I exhaled sharply. “We need to help him. He’s dying,” I whispered, my eyes still on Sage Momar.

It was then that the titanic mutants finally noticed me, dropping their weighted gaze onto my frame.

The female mutant growled lowly at me. “Who let this human in? What’s he doing here?”

The third one, another male titanic mutant heaved a small sigh. “Don’t base your actions on a single smell. Concentrate very well and you’ll perceive his true mutant scent underneath all those junky smell that is the humans.”

“Even so, we can’t trust him,” she snapped in a firm voice. She moved closer to me and sniffed the air around me. “What if he’s one of them. Toph, Wyrm, why did you bring a stranger into our hideout?”

“Ask Wyrm, not me. Sometimes I forget that we share a body and want to beat him up,” Toph growled.

The female titanic mutant’s chest rumbled as she snarled at the twins. “And so? Why bring him here? Is he lunch?” She looked at me and I jerked under her strong gaze. A lapping sound filled the cave as she slowly licked her lips in show of hunger, trying to frighten me. “It’s been long since we’ve had—”

“Cut it out. We need to heal this old man before he dies,” the first male titanic mutant said in a tired tone, turning around to face the cave’s entrance. “You guys should watch over him while I go out to search for some herbs to heal his wounds.”

The others grunted in reply. I slightly inclined my head up to watch him march out of the cave. With the way he was walking he nearly seemed like a ghost that was phasing through things, his steps slow for someone his size but fast for normal-sized people. I held my breath and observed him till he was totally out of sight.

The female titanic mutant made a spitting sound and moved to a corner in the cave, her footsteps shaking everything and everyone.

“Cause an earthquake why don’t you? Walking like you’re the only person that owns this place,” Toph quipped as he observed the female titanic mutant move about in the cave, collecting things.

You acted like only you and your brother lives in this cave and that’s why she’s upset,” the male said, moving to the pile of mats. He grabbed one, unrolled it and spread it beside mine. He dusted his bare feet on the floor before he stepped onto it and sat on it.

The female titanic mutant returned to Sage Momar, a grinding stone and slab in her hands. She knelt on the ground beside his body and placed the items on the ground.

My eyes slid from one titanic mutant to another—looking at them reminded me of those cavemen that I would usually see on the television back when I had been in Dr. Caelum’s lab. They almost looked comical yet scary at the same time with their leafy attires and gigantic physique.