- Final -

Maybe life was different and had a twist in every turn one takes. Maybe not all humans had to be cruel in order to lead. Actions bred solution to the problems we had created from past actions, and in a way, one becomes free.

Dr. Caelum had done the broadcast and the whole world had decided that she should be killed as punishment. And technically, she was by the new, confusing and cruel leader of Bio Corps who gave her a new identity, forcing her to bury Dr. Gift Caelum, a curious girl who started all of this with just one question.

As for the Firsts and the mutants, Dr. Caelum had bargained for our rights to make a choice on whether we wanted to take the antidote or not. Some had decided to change back, especially those from The Wilds. But I hadn't chosen to take th antidote, and that's why I was standing before a window, watching the skies get painted orange by the rising sun.

The sound of someone pulling the door open behind me made me stare away from the window. It was Dr. Caelum and she was sporting a dull smile as she limped to me.

She sighed lightly as she stood beside me. "How has your time here been?"

I stiffly shrugged a shoulder, shifting my attention back to the window. "Bearable?"

Dr. Caelum giggled lightly and my insides melted at the sound. It wasn't the same as her usual, relaxed giggle but it was close enough. Dr. Caelum cleared her throat, her cheeks flushing slightly as she stared at the horizon with me.

Silence swerved through us as we quietly awaited dawn. After a while, I exhaled and spoke up.

"Dr. Caelum why had you done what you had done?" I turned my face to stare her, my brows furrowing as I frowned gently. "Why had you made me a mutant?"

Dr. Caelum stiffened before she released a wispy sigh. "I guess that I... had let my thoughts and thinking stray farther than I could ever grasp back." She smiled up at me and whispered, "and... it's Gift to you."

My face heated up and I looked away. "Oh! Uh..." I swallowed and rubbed the back of my neck.

Dr. Caelum loudly cleared her throat and slowly reached out for my hand and took it. "Deneb... Are you... staying?"

"Well... that depends on... on many things," I answered unsurely, keeping my eyes on the horizon, my fingers tightening around hers.

Dr. Caelum smiled softly and we both watched the sun as it rose. "Then we both have an eternity to think about that."

My eyes widened and I stared at her. I studied her features that had changed—she was wearing grey contacts and her hair was a soft platinum blonde colour. I smiled at that, the thought of a new life making my insides giddy. I looked back at the rising sun and the both of us watched it silently, our hands held together in a silent bind, waiting for what new hope that dawn will bring with it.

I may not have been a great bird, but I had surely taken flight and fell, and I got back up with a mightier strength.

THE END