- Firsts -

Every phenomenon or theory had a starting point, be it the phenomenon of death or the phenomenon of life. Or in this particular case, the phenomenon of mutants. The phenomenon had started in a lab, then it consumed the lab. From the lab, it spread its wings to the outside world. From the outside world, it grew to the whole world, shadowing it in a hazy blur. That blur became annoying specks and the specks turned to mutants. And then the greedy humans wanted more.

The Firsts, I thought, my features one of shock and disbelief. Skies, these humans are more barbaric than I thought.

I stared—my mouth hanging open—as my mind sluggishly processed what the twins had just said. “Dragons... and dinosaurs... were brought back to life?”

“Yes,” Wrym said, narrowing his eyes.

“By the same person who had created... normal mutants?”

“That’s correct,” Wrym said with a blink.

I unlaced my hands, shifting my gaze to my muddy shoes. Tears blurred my vision and I was smart to quickly blink them away.

“Why would humans want more mutants? How had they done it? What was their motive for doing it? Why... Why... Why had they let us live back then when they will easily turn their backs on us? Why are humans cruel?!” I said rapidly, my voice rising with each word, cracking in the end.

Wyrm exhaled and said, “oh, don’t look so sad. Maybe they had a reason for doing what they had done.”

Toph clicked his tongue. “A mad one. I mean experimenting and on things that don’t exist just to make them exist? Jeez, cut me some slack. I’m tired.”

I felt my eyebrows knit, a confused frown appearing on my face. I raised my head to look at them. “Experiments? What experiments?”

Wyrm moved his head from side to side, his features one of tiredness. “That’s why Toph should always let me finish saying what I want to say.”

Toph scoffed. “Then talk. Nothing’s holding you back.”

“I know.” Wyrm threw his head back and sighed softly. “In the beginning it hadn’t been an... experiment. It wasn’t an act done willingly.” His eyebrows furrowed. “They hadn’t done it on purpose.”

I cocked my head, my expression one of confusion. “I do not get what you are saying.”

“Well... let me explain more.” He cleared his throat. “After the virus that had mutated the animals cleared up, the government of the humans had not been totally satisfied with what that had happened. Although they let the mutants live and kept quiet about it, they still were irritated with everything. Still... they saw opportunity and power in what that had happened.” He stopped and looked at his brother, a brow jerking up in a suggestive manner.

He grunted in annoyance and added, “they decided to play with dangerous fire.” He rolled her eyes. “They decided to make their own animals because they were hungry, little humans who couldn’t stay away from meat.”

“Or maybe they simply wanted their own things to control,” Wyrm said in a firm voice.

“Right,” Toph drawled, rolling his eyes.

“Anyways. They decided that because there weren’t any animals to mess with they could make theirs.” He held his chin and raised his head, his face squeezed in thought. “Imagine those Jurassic Park and Jurassic World movies.” He looked at me. “You’ve watched them right?”

“Yes I have,” I said, my voice gruffy.

Wrym nodded. “Okay, imagine those two movies—”