Chapter 5 The News

****

I woke up to the sun tapping my shoulder. I had fallen asleep in their house.

I pulled myself together and scratched the crusties from my green eyes.

****

"Ember..." I walked up behind her as she stared at something she held.

"This is your father and me when we were kids," she spread a smile from ear to ear, but at the same time I noticed she was still express in grief. I missed him too.

"Our mother used to yell at us when we came home late from playing there in the woods. We would come home and your grandmother would have to hose us down outside because we would get really dirty and just covered in mud."

She laughed.

It made me feel a little better. It always makes me feel good no matter how blue or how joyful I am at the time, I always get happier when I hear stories.

Stories make me feel... like I'm living with the people in the stories.

*

"Aunt Ember... I-I have to tell you something," I started and she interrupted.

"Oh, look who decided to come home," she realized it was serious because I didn't awkwardly laugh like I would.

"Ember..."

"What is it, Cassy?"

"You remember Melvin, don't you?"

"Yes of course, how could I forget that guy?"

"He-... Well yesterday there was this one fox... And um... She uh, told me that," I couldn't continue before a let some saltwater release my system.

Ember quickly picked up and embraced me with a hug. She rubbed my back as I began to sob. "Him and Jamie were my best friends..."

She let out a quiet gasp and pulled me tighter and I welcomed her hug by pulling in her comfort even more.

"No, not Jamie."

I felt a wet drop on the top of my head where her chin rested. [shes 5'10 and I'm 5'6]

We cried in each others arms for a couple more seconds before I dried up and quickly pulled away.

I ran to my room an locked my door.

I decided to unpack a little bit and I ran into a doll he made me one Christmas.

It was created from twigs, leaves, yarn, and a little bit of magic.

I remember what he said to me when he gave it to me. He said, "Cassy Grace, I want you to know that you're like a daughter I never had. If you ever need me I'm here," he tapped near my shoulder "where?"

"In your heart, darling" he giggled.

"The magic in this creature will allow it to never get old or die. But only as long as you never forget what I, or anyone else, has taught you. And there's one more thing..."

"Wait, it's alive?"

He whispered in my ear something that left me in curiosity.

"You are a magical and powerful young girl. For the magic does not come from the outside, but on the inside. And in a matter of time you will know."

"So, you mean I have powers?" Was all I thought about. It excited me because all the creatures, even my parents had 'powers', but not me.

"What I mean is, unlike your family, yours will be gained over time. They will be activated in a few years' time."

"What do they do?"

"I can't tell you that, but I can say is that, your abilities will be activated and controlled by your gentle and kind heart and your love for others."

He kissed my forehead and by the next year, my parents were gone and I was in another country.

*

I clutched the doll, which I had given the name, Korrine, when I was young.