Day 8

"Mumma, I am hungry," Xenia said coming in the living room. It had been but three hours since she last ate but idleness made her hungry again.

"I just have to make rice and then we will eat. If you want there are fruits in the fridge."

"Okay." She scanned the whole fridge however found nothing that satisfied her so she returned to the living room. The fan was rotating on its full speed but summer made it ineffective. She spent some time alone in the living room using her phone however when it became difficult to handle the hunger she went to the kitchen and started helping her mother. She drank a whole bottle of water which reduced her agitation, making her tolerable.

"Seems like our neighbour got scolded by his boss today," Her mother said two minutes after she had entered the kitchen.

"Who?"

Her mother motioned towards Maier's window. "He was in a very bad mood due to some office related issue."

"How do you know?"

"He was in the kitchen earlier. He was looking upset so I asked him what was wrong. Poor him. It must be so difficult to stay all alone and work isn't helping him."

Earlier in the day, Xenia was making her breakfast when she heard Maier having an argument. She comprehended the intensity of the argument when after disconnecting the call Maier cursed the caller. She had left the kitchen soon which was why she knew nothing of the matter, however, her mother gathered some information.

"Do you know Australia is expected to be under lockdown for 6 months. If that happens here then he would be stuck here for six months or maybe more. How sad to get stuck like this."

"Hmm. Hopefully, it will end soon and then he can go home."

"Hopefully. I told him I will give him Rice today. He had made the curry so I said don't do anything else. Least we can do is help him."

"Hmm. We will make spaghetti tomorrow. We have everything at home, right?"

"Yeah, but Why?"

"No not tomorrow. On Sunday."

"Your wish. You know where everything is. Oh, Ashwini called you when you were in the shower."

"Oh. I will go and call her. Let me know when you are done." Taking her phone from the living room she went to her favourite room and called her best friend.

"Where are you, Xenia? I called you twice."

"Once I was working out and then I was taking a shower."

"All you do is work out! How much more will you lose?"

"Maintaining not losing. I am scared of gaining it all again in this lockdown."

"But it looks like you are doing more than you need to do. You are working too hard but is it not needed now."

"I am not doing more than I needs to. I am just really very scared, " she said with a chuckle.

"Uff, Where is Haim?"

"Don't know. Add him."

"Okay, I will quickly have my lunch and then call you both again. Miss me."

Smiling Xenia replied, "Okay. I will have my lunch, too."

After disconnecting the call Xenia was still thinking about What her friend had said. She had been hearing that a lot however her thoughts did not match to it causing confusion and frustration. She took a deep breath and sighed.

"You are very emotional, aren't you?" She did not reply but moved backwards and rested her back on the wall. "You won't gain a lot. Maybe a little if you are not careful. But how much can one gain in 21 days?"

"Half of it if not all. And a little is not little. One gram is enough to make me cry."

"Then you are very sensitive. Being sensitive and emotional will only harm you."

"I know. But I have little control over that."

"You can control whatever you want. Trust me when I say you can control your mind."

"I know but I don't want to in this case. Being loose can harm. What if I gain all of it."

"Gaining is not bad. As long as you are healthy don't think about your weight."

"But I worked very, very hard for it. It is not fair. It was hard work cannot let it go in vain."

He nodded his head, "I understand that but you are thinking a lot. That sigh was very loud. If something is stressing you so much then there is something wrong."

"I know. I get emotional at times. Maybe I am emotional."

"That is not bad. But be careful, you might get hurt badly over something minute."

She chuckled. "that happens. I am working on it. Read a book on it."

"That is one of the best ways of changing your behaviour. It worked for me. Read more books it will help you understand what to do and how to do."

"Yeah, books are very helpful. Which book was it? Oh! I totally forgot about Emma. I will give you the book today."

"It is okay. Take your time. And I do not remember the exact name of that book but I will look into it."

"Thank you."

"Xenia! Check the rice and if they are done, give some to our neighbour." her mother yelled from the living room.

"Okay. I will get you some rice." She whispered to him.

"Thank you." He whispered back

Smiling she went to the kitchen however, returned in less than a minute with five grapes in her hand. "It is not ready. Can you wait for some time?"

"I do not think I have a choice there. "

She chuckled as she sat on the Deewan. She heard a sigh after some time and chuckled again. "Looks like you are emotional too."

He kept his phone on the table away from him before saying, "My phone is rebooting. Again."

"Your phone. What will you do if it dies?"

"I don't know. I am praying that doesn't happen until 14th April."

"What if the lockdown extends?"

"Pray it doesn't. I want to go home."

"I am sure you want to. It must be difficult here."

"It is. Being alone is still fine. But it's getting too hot for me."

"It is getting hot for everyone. But yeah more for you than us."

"You get me," he said with sincerity and a straight face.

"Shoot, rice!" Xenia ran out of the room towards the kitchen immediately. Maier frowned at her sudden eruption and raised his eyebrows when she said damn.

"It's okay if they are burned. I will manage, " he said in consolation.

"You do not matter." She whispered to herself but said to him, "Thank you and sorry."

"All the best. I pray your mother forgives you."

"She won't. I am dead." She closed her eyes while he frowned. He thought it was an overreaction however her response was accurate. Her mother reacted just as she thought. She was scolded and her phone was blamed. The scolding lasted for a long time, and the day ended sooner than she thought but not before Maier realised why she was "overreacting".

***

Hello people!

How is everyone?
Praying for everyone's safety and health.

I would like to hear what you all think about the story. Is it boring, or does it need any improvements? I am open to suggestions and advice! Just let me know where the story is heading according to you. This will help me shape the story.

Thank you.

Have a good night❤