Day 1

At Noon, surprisingly the streets were not empty. It was the first day of the lockdown and people were confused. Some shops were open and panic buying was at rise, resulting in the streets to be occupied when they were to be empty. Oddly an hour later when the adult population reduced, children were found on the roads. They were running, laughing, enjoying. They were happy, it appeared as their summer vacations had begun. The first day of the lockdown lost its purpose.

Xenia was helping her mother in the kitchen partly because she wished to, and partly due to the fear that her mother would start scolding her. Despite the unrest, her house managed to be calm and safe. Nothing changed in their behaviours or feelings, simply a minor change in their routine. While the world was captured by fear, her family escaped the norm.

"This is the first time the world has shut down. Never seen something like that before. This is something new," her mother started talking. She had repeated those words five times or more in the past two days.

"Remember how in old black and white movies it is shown that a plague caused chaos and the whole Village is affected?" Xenia said when she thought her mother was starting to worry.

"Back then the whole village would vanish. Those days medical facilities were not that good or modern. Now things have changed. And that used to happen to just one or two villages, not the whole world."

"It is similar to that. Now the world has come closer as they say it, which is why everyone is affected. People travel now from one country to another. That's why it is spreading. This is not new. It has happened before, not on such a large scale but still. Like always things will go back to normal."

A shake of head proved her mother was at ease, easing her forehead, too. They were but quiet for a minute before Xenia came up with a new thought. "The 3rd house must be chaotic now. Maids aren't coming, she cannot go to her mother's house. She must be in a bad condition."

"She has quarantined herself. She nor her husband are leaving the house. They have sealed their door. And without a maid? She was very close to crying yesterday."

"She can not survive without a maid. What will she do now?"

"She will make her husband do everything. Her husband does whatever she says. She is lucky. Girls now days don't know how to do simple things. We managed a joint family of fifteen or more and did it with small children. Girls today know nothing. Modern is just a scam."

Xenia pressed her lips together,  surprise at how her mother found a way to attack her generation, again.  Preferring to ease the atmosphere Xenia came up with another topic. "Our neighbours are back."

"Yes, they are. But there are not many people. Maybe just one or two. They cannot do anything now. Cannot sell the house, cannot meet anyone. It is a waste of time for them."

"They shouldn't have come. Isn't it safer there? And how will they go back home now?"

"Who knows. No International flights are allowed to come in. No one is allowed to go out. They are trapped here and who knows for how many days or months. China did this all for their own good. None of their leaders or celebrities has it! Other countries now have more death rate than them."

Xenia closed her eyes as her mother continued sharing the news she acquired on WhatsApp. Her mother, like most Indian mothers, had been sharing a lot of information that someone else shared on social media sites. Xenia repeated it again and again that many of them were nothing but false facts nonetheless her mother continued.

An hour after lunch often was dull, with people either being tired or without any work. Xenia was no different. She went from one social media site to another. It was not that she was without any work however, there was nothing crucial giving her ample time to waste. Her friends were both occupied with some or the other things, making it an unbearable afternoon. However, that did not last long as she received a notification from her teacher. She was given an assignment to be submitted within two days. Pressing her palm on her forehead she exhaled and closed her eyes. She was wishing for freedom from her condition and God granted her wish but with a little twist. For long she and her college friends discussed and despised yet no one decided or even thought of doing the assignment. They had two days and they were going to do it in the last hour. 

"Thank God. I was hoping to meet you," A voice said which Xenia did not think was important to listen. No alteration or reply made the voice talk again." I am talking to you. Medical store girl?" Again, it did not alarm her at first however passing of few seconds brought realisation.

"Me?" She exclaimed loudly.

"Yes. I need your help if you do not mind helping."

"Sure." She sat straight up.

"Where do you get groceries from? Is there any departmental store working? Any place where I can get food."

"You don't have food? God. D-mart is still working. Vegetables are available just at the end of the street. There is a store just five minutes away, where you can get some stuff but not everything. You can get everything in D-mart."

"Can you tell me where it is? Wait, can I find it on Google Map?"

"Yes, you can! It's not very far. But you can not walk there."

"Okay, thank you. Taxis or autorickshaw anything available?"

"I am not sure. Maybe. You can go out and check. But I doubt it. No one is allowed to leave the house unless and until you have a valid reason."

"Any other source of travel?"

"I really don't know." Xenia was aware her father could help however she did not wish to offer something on his behalf. "You can go out and check. Hopefully, you will find something. Wait! The family that lives across the street is your relative. And they have a car!"

"Yeah, I know. I do not like that uncle."

"Yeah, he is annoying." She bit her tongue. "I mean he is good. He is good. Very good."

She heard a chuckle. "That's okay. I agree with you. He is annoying which is why I am hoping not to take any favours from him. You have no idea what will help me? Or what is available? "

"No. I am sorry."

"It is not your fault. Anyway, thank you for your help. I really appreciate it."

She smiled and again did not reply. She did not know when he left as they did not say a word after that. It was awkward however she was happy to help and he was grateful to have met someone who he did not know nor did he see. In those uncertain time, they did what was best, helped and thanked. Help was what was needed by the strangers and help was what was the duty of the people. What the future held, no one knew. But supporting each other was what kept the hope alive.