Day 17

Seventeen days ago, Xenia and Maier were not aware of each other's presence. At the end of the day, they heard each other's voice but knew nothing, not even the faces. Seventeen days later, they were not the best of friends, they did not find it difficult to live with each other, however, they were not strangers.

"Xenia, give me a glass, please, " her mother requested when she came into the kitchen.

Her mother was sitting on the floor with many containers in front of her, hence she needed a helping hand. Tiptoeing she took a glass in her hand and passed it to her mother.

"What are you doing? Are you going to make Idli?"

"Yes. Maier said he likes Idli and we haven't had it in a long time so I thought why not. I do not think we have everything. I will have to go to the grocery store."

"He is leaving in a few days."

"Yeah, I know. I will make it tomorrow or maybe the day after. Oh, by the way, did you see my white Kurta by any chance?"

"Which one?"

"The one you got me on my birthday last year. It is not in my cupboard. Maybe it is in yours."

"I do not know. I will check. By the way, what is the plan for Papa's birthday?"

"We cannot go out. We will make something at home. He has training that day, so he would be busy."

"Okay. What about the cake? Bhai was saying that we can order on Zomato."

"Can we? I do not think so."

"I guess the food industry isn't shut completely. I saw the Dominos delivery guy the other day. If they are working, I think Zomato would be, too. I am not sure though. I will ask him."

"Okay. Do whatever you want. What is birthday anyway? Just another day."

She was smiling when her eyes fell on Maier who had newly entered the kitchen. "Good morning, " he said softly.

"Good morning." Keeping all the containers in their designated position her mother stood up as she said, " You are not working today? You woke up late."

"I have a meeting at twelve. Till then I am free. Would you like some coffee?"

"No, thank you," her mother said with a smile. "Here is your breakfast. I was about to call you. It tastes best when it is hot so eat it fast."

"Thank you." He kept the plate on the counter and took a mug in his hand. "Xenia?" He said by tilting the mug towards her. With wide eyes, she shook her head in a no before briefly looking at her mother. There was no reaction from her side which help calm Xenia's nerves. "Any luck on the tickets?" Asked her mother after some time had passed.

"Yes. My father booked the ticket."

Xenia and her mother, both looked up in surprise. "Really? That is nice. When do you leave?"

"Nineteenth."

"That is such great news. Finally, you can be at home."

"Finally."

They both smiled. "Will you be allowed to go home or will you be quarantined for two weeks?

"Not sure about that. But as long as I am home, I mind neither."

Her mother smiled again, "At least you will be home. Chalo, pack your stuff. If you need anything we are here."

With a smile, he said, "Thank you. I really appreciate it."

"You don't have to say that. Xenia, give this to your father."

Xenia delivered the breakfast to her father and then went to the living room. She sat quietly, without moving, without thinking. There was nothing she was expected to do or she wished to do so she stayed alone for some time. She was observing the surrounding, looking outside the window, feeling the peace. However, that did not last for a long time.