Day 11

Monday, Tuesdays, Wednesday, Thursday, Friday, Saturday or  Sunday? Which day was it, people rarely noticed. Days were similar, even Sundays. Many people worked from home on Sunday's too, housewives worked overtime and the kids worked harder to put the house out of order. Everyone worked harder than usual despite the popular belief, work from home would be better.

"Xenia No!" Xenia was about to open a door when her mother exclaimed. "Your brother is having a meeting. He strictly said no one to come in."

"Okay. Sometimes I forget he lives here or that he exists." She entered the kitchen from where her mother's voice arrived. "What are you making? Why are you making breakfast?"

"Everyone is awake so I thought it would be nice to have breakfast today. We rarely do that nowadays."

"Okay." Xenia was disappointed as missing breakfast meant fewer calories which she preferred. "Give me ginger-garlic paste and pass the turmeric."

She first passed the jar of turmeric and then opened the fridge to look for the other thing. She had to sit down on her knees as it was on a lowers shelf. In the meantime, Maier, who was working in his room came to the kitchen.

"Good morning." Her mother greeted him cheerfully.

"Who did you say that?" Xenia asked, however, her mother instead of replying her talked to Maier. "Would you like some breakfast."

"No," Xenia replied. Maier replied the same but with his gestures.

"Are you working?" Her mother asked. Maier nodded his head while Xenia said no. "You look sick. Is everything alright?"

"Yeah. Just tired." Maier replied with a smile. "Could not sleep well yesterday."

"Amma, who are you talking to?" Xenia leaned back and saw Maier in his window. Just then her mother turned to her and said, "Xenia, fast."

Xenia handed her mother the container without standing up and then closing the fridge she left the kitchen. Unlike the last two days, she did not spend time thinking about Maier or her actions. She found a way to divert her attention. Maier, on the other hand, did not pay attention either and minded his own business. "Are you making breakfast?" Her mother asked him after some time.

With a shake of his head, he said, "I do not have time. I am making coffee to keep myself awake."

"Eat something. You will feel better."

"It's okay. I am not hungry."

When he returned to his room he had a big plate in his hand. He protested and denied however her mother was adamant. Soon after his return to the room, he got a zoom call which had everyone from his team except his boss. He did not hesitate and kept eating due to the exception. They discussed the strategy and the process, everything was sorted and organised in less time than it took with their boss. Their minds were relaxed and their productivity increased without the boss however his fear was the motivation.

"Maier is already having his lunch?" One of his colleagues said after their formal work was over.

"It's not my lunch. It's my breakfast."

"Breakfast so late?" Another one asked.

"It's ten here," Maier replied.

"Oh, right. India is behind us."

"It is. Anyway, I will get started. John is going to call me in an hour to check on my progress. I will see you guys later. Bye-bye."

Disconnecting the call Maier started working again. His work and deadlines did not allow any other thought to enter his mind. His boss gave no chance to him to feel alright. He worked continuously and when he was done it was evening and the street was very quiet. He looked towards the window as soon as he looked up from the laptop. His eyes had wandered in that direction half a dozen time since he opened his eyes. The neighbouring house was very quiet. He had barely seen anyone or any moment after noon. It was unusual or not, he could not say. He had paid no attention earlier. When he needed help he got help but that day he did not. He needed no help but he desired to meet someone. Maybe her, maybe her mother, maybe a new face. His demands were limited to a being. He did not feel lonely as the internet kept him occupied however that day was not his day. He was alone with his thoughts with no one to share the time.

***
A very, very small chapter I know. We don't have electricity and my phone is 5% or less. With less staff, no one knows when the electricity will be back and I cannot take the risk so I am publishing whatever I have. I do not want to miss another day.

I hope you all had a great day.

Take care <3