Day 9

The sleep schedule that was ruined had affected many if not all. Some woke up late, some woke up tired and some woke up earlier than usual which made them feel exhausted and indignant. At seven in the morning, Xenia had been awake for little more than an hour and she was not having a good morning. Her bed did not make her feel better so she went on the terrace where she joined her mother. Inside the house, summer was evident, terrace, however, was different. It was comparatively frigid and pleasant. For Xenia who rarely left the house, it was a surprise.

They were sitting in one corner with their backs resting against the wall. She was observing the sky quietly while her mother was lost in her thoughts. In the last few days, instead of music, Xenia developed a new fondness towards the melody of birds talking. Birds talked to her daily, however, she was deaf to their words. Now when a crisis had fallen before them she found the time to listen, to hear what they had to say.

"Why are you angry? Listen, Nisha. What happened?"

Xenia's eyes widened when she heard one of her neighbours call her another neighbour who was his special someone. She knew what was between them however her mother was clueless.

"But what happened? Nisha, come back. What did I do?"

Xenia slowly turned her eyes towards her mother and she rolled her eyes in response. "You know?" Xenia whispered. 

"The whole neighbourhood knows except their parents. Who are they trying to fool? When their families find out, it will be world war III."

"I don't want to talk to you. You go and talk to your friend. She is more important. Go and talk to her. I am going down and stop taking my name. My father is at home!" Saying that Nisha left the terrace.

"I hope world war III takes place on the terrace too. It would be fun to watch."

"It will. The whole neighbourhood would witness it. Just wait and watch. They are digging their own graves."

"Nisha yar listen.  Babu."

Xenia chuckled hearing the word while her mother closed her eyes which made Xenia laugh. Eyes that opened on a bitter note where now playful and energetic after spending some time in silence and solitary. Xenia was still laughing when she and her mother went down to the living room, keeping their spirits high. "Babu. Why do they call each other babu?" She chuckled.

"Nowadays, people say anything. Your favourite neighbour also calls her husband babu. And in front of everyone."

"She is not my favourite! And she is weird. She can do anything. And she is not my favourite."

Her mother laughed at her long face making her roll her eyes. The morning was better than presumed. They had more energy and spirit than their usual mornings, making it packed with laugher and smiles. After a cheerful breakfast, Xenia slept while watching TV. When she woke up it was afternoon. After a shower, they had their lunch. During the lockdown some days included nothing but eating and sleeping, day 8 was one of them.

"Who gave this?" Xenia asked when she saw an unfamiliar dish on the table.

"Her new friend," Her father said making her mother smile. "They both made it together."

"Who friend? Who came home?"

"No one. It's from our neighbour," Her mother said. "He told me he was making something for us. He was all alone so I helped. It is really good. Taste it." Xenia's eyebrows were lifted and her eyes were slightly bigger. "Okay."

"He is very good at cooking. He is a boy and yet so good at it."

"Learn something Xenia learn." Her father teased her. She narrowed her eyes as he laughed.