Day 10

"Not like that Xenu."

Sunday, a day every member of the house is at home and the kitchen is everyone's favourite room. Sunday feast was a norm for the majority of the population. But when every day became Sunday norms were altered. On a Thursday Xenia and her mother were trying a new recipe which usually was a Sunday thing. And just like any normal Sunday, her father was interfering in their work. He was advising and telling Xenia what to do which was causing frustration. She spent seven days in a week in the kitchen and her father who spent a day in a month on an average in the kitchen was acting like an expert.

"Deep fry it. You should add some more oil. And wait until it turns brown. You are not doing it properly."  Her father was giving her instructions while she was looking at him quietly. He noticed her stare after a moment and smiled instantly. Smiling wider he said, "I love you." After ten days of being together every hour, those words were no more effective on her and she waited for him to leave before resuming her work. It had not been more than five minutes when her father returned to the kitchen. "You are not cooking it properly. It is raw from inside. Let it stay in the oil for some more time." Not reacting to her father's words she kept going. She was confident that responding to her father would make her say something that she would regret later. Silence was the best option. It is not possible to live a life without instances where one loses their calm, however, it is possible to avoid an argument, saving everyone a few minutes or maybe a few days of injury by compressing the anger within.

"How is it?" Xenia asked once they all sat together to eat in the living room. Her father lifted the corners of the lips and raised his eyebrows while nodding his head. She then turned to her mother who said it was nice. "I guess a little more salt would have been better." Her mother agreed with her while her father said, "next time add some cheese. It will taste better. And why don't you bake a cake? Walnut cake. We have walnuts."

"No one but you like walnuts," Xenia replied.

"It tastes delicious. You will like it. Make it on my birthday."

Nodding her head she gave no reply. Xenia was feeling full which made her feel fat which directed her towards her backyard where she walked for an hour. Being locked inside a home came with a touch of guilt for various reasons, eating, being unproductive, breathing. People thought staying locked inside their houses would be difficult, however, time proved that it was one of the easiest things to do.

"My mother used to say that, too." Xenia heard someone say. She was lost in her thoughts and was walking, which was why she could not recognise the voice. Slowly, she started to understand the topic of discussion, then she understood there were two people. Next, she understood one was a man and another was a woman and lastly she understood it was her mother and Maier. Hitting her forehead softly with her hand she continued walking. Walking back and forth gave her barely any insight into their conversation. She was not interested so she did not mourn. The two new friends had no idea that Xenia was in the audience and continued their conversation.

"That is not true," Xenia's mother said, "It's a new tradition. Back in the days, men used to be the cook. In weddings or any functions even in some households, it was men. Women cooked, yes but never professionally. Now, when people criticise men for becoming or wishing to become a chef  I find it funny. I mean what was happening till now?"

Maier smiled. "I find it silly too. People always find a way to criticise or make things difficult."

"That is human. Do you have the lid of this pot?"

"Yes, it is here. I also have a plate." He passed the lid and was then passing the plate when her mother half mindedly extended her hand looking in the other direction and as a result, the plate fell down. "I am so sorry!" Maier said instantly. "I will go and get it."

"It wasn't your fault. I was not looking. Don't go. I will send someone to get it."

"Don't worry," Xenia said, "It fell on me. I will bring it with me." Consolation or sorry was nowhere near instead they both started laughing. Xenia raised her hands, amazed at their reaction. "I got hurt."

"It was just a plate. Bring it up, fast. I need it."

With a long face, she picked up the plate and went to the kitchen. Due to her recent trail of thoughts, Xenia was avoiding Maier. When she reached near the kitchen she peeked inside to see what was happening. Maier was cutting something and was talking to her mother. She moved back when she thought he was about to look in her direction. She waited for a minute and checked again. The process was repeated thrice before she got a chance to step inside the kitchen. She stayed but a moment there and went to her room directly. She stayed absent from the rooms where it was possible to meet or hear him.

She was hiding from him while Maier, unknown of her actions and thoughts was busy in his own world. His boss had been acting just like a boss and was mistreating his nerves. He and his colleagues were furious, however, they could do nothing other than follow his orders. By evening when they were done all of them were exhausted and drained. His colleagues returned to their families in the other room, Maier returned to an empty house.

That day Maier understood what loneliness meant and how it felt. He had been living alone on his own for a couple of years however he was never alone. Family, friends, colleagues, he had everyone and everything, all the facilities, technologies, luxuries. Things, he still had less but sufficient, what he craved was a being. Someone he could laugh with, someone he could talk to, someone he could see. That day was the first time he felt lonely, it that was also the first time he looked towards the window, hoping to hear a voice.