Chapter Thirty Six

Praises and loud claps could be heard from the Church close to the house. Genevieve sang along with them and even danced.

"If you continue that way, you might miss the procession. You know you are taking the sermon " Reverend Nwachukwu said while he laid out his robe and a sash that was the liturgical colour for the season.

"Help me zip my blouse" Genevieve said, coming to back him. He began to zip the cloth but the zip got stuck half way.

"Find another dress. You are now fatter than this one " He said, dismissing her and going to fish out his cuff links. Genevieve recovered quickly from the comment. She did not like to add weight to the extent of abandoning a clothe.

"Come and try it again "

"We're almost late" He grumbled, returning to the zip.

She pushed in her back and he zipped, this time the zip Seperated and the cloth was condemned.

"I told you " he said, returning hurriedly to pick his white robe and sash.

"It's spoilt? " Genevieve asked in partial disbelief already pulling down the cloth while walking to the wardrobe.

"Please wait. I have an alternative"

"I will be in church. We're already late" He said and exited the room.

This time, she found a red skirt suit and wore with a nude camisol peeking from the V curve of the jacket. When she came out, about fifteen minutes later, her husband was standing in the parlor.

"Thank you " She said, pecking his lips while he stood with a frown, refusing to smile.

"Kamsi said she's not going " he said, heading to the glass slide door .

"She's weak " Genevieve replied then called out, "Bia, Chisom come and lock up! "

"You people should pray for me "

The Vicar was already in the car and she was about climbing in then she turned to the owner of the voice.

"We would, baby. Send me a text when your hubby comes. Make the food "

Kamsi nodded and shifted back for the car to reverse.

"Kamsi, ngwanu take care of the house " Reverend Nwachukwu said as he steered the car towards the gate.

Kamsi nodded and waved at them as they drove out. She sat on the balcony after they had left. Chisom and Onyedikachi had gone for the first service. They formed a duo choir and thier voices resonated in the entire house. Kamsi was sure that if she could hear them that way from outside, the people outside the fence might be convinced that a church has started in their compound.

She went into the kitchen and began to cut onions to prepare jellof rice. Half way cutting the onions, she measured out an amount of rice that would be enough for the whole house and put it on fire. Her stepmother wanted the rice at just a little amount because she had other things planned out in her food timetable. She had tried to delete the idea of cooking for her husband but her stepmother had insisted, saying it did not come out right not to serve him food. She was right but Kamsi knew that her husband would not eat because of his arrogance and obvious anger. It was best the whole house was forced to eat the food instead.

"What can I help you with? " Chisom asked from the kitchen door.

She turned and smiled at his presence. "Grind pepper, crayfish and Tumeric for me"

"Tomatoes ?"

"I love to cut it" she replied

"Onyi! Sister is cooking. Come to the kitchen " he called out to his brother while he arranged the blender.