Catching Up

Isabelle stared at her closet wondering what she was going to wear for the festival. She wanted to look presentable, or at least that's what she told herself. But deep down she knew that all she wanted was to look cute for Totakeke. Isabelle grunted in annoyance. Why did she care so much about what he thought of her? Ever since they were younger Isabelle remembered how she always tried to impress K.K. She remembered one time when she would walk with him in the forest and she wanted to impress him by climbing up a huge tree they found. Totakeke told her that she would fall but she didn't listen to him. But in the end, she slipped off a tree branch and landed on her leg. She was so embarrassed, not because she fell, but because she started crying in front of him. Isabelle expected him to make fun of her or laugh but he didn't. She just remembered him carrying her on his back and singing songs to her to try and get her to stop crying.

Isabelle smiled at the thought. He was so young when it happened and she couldn't help but wonder if K.K. even remembered it. But Isabelle was completely cut from her thoughts as she heard a knock at her door. She sighed and looked at the mirror. She really didn't look good. All she had on was an old pink sweater and worn out sweatpants. Not to mention that her hair was an absolute mess. Isabelle told herself not to worry about it though. It was probably just Pete with the package she ordered, and she knew that he wouldn't care.

She slowly walked down the hallway and took a deep breath before she answered the door.

"Hey, how can I- OH MY GOSH!" Isabelle said shocked, as she saw that it was K.K. at her door.

"Uhh, nice to see you too," K.K. said chuckling to himself. Isabelle looked at herself and then at K.K. before she let out a groan.

"Woah, Woah. What's wrong?" K.K. asked. Isabelle pinched the bridge of her nose and shook her head. 

"You come to see your friend that you haven't talked to in nine years when she's looking like this? Seriously K.K.?" Isabelle said before she frantically ran her paw through her hair trying to fix it.

K.K. looked at Isabelle from head to toe and tilted his head. "What are you talking about? You look fine as always."

Isabelle hated that she blushed when he said that and looked away from K.K. so he wouldn't see. But luckily he didn't seem to notice. But when Isabelle looked back at K.K., she was surprised to see how tall he had gotten. He seemed so different now and she didn't understand why. She could feel tears biting her eyes as she ran and put her arms around him for a hug. Totakeke was startled by it at first but he soon returned it.

"I missed you," Isabelle said as she buried her head in his shoulder. Totakeke closed his eyes and gave her a tight squeeze.

"I missed you too," K.K. said. The two stood there for a while until Isabelle finally let go.

She looked at K.K. with tears in her eyes and she could have sworn that she saw tears in his too. She never had seen K.K. cry before. She could never even imagine it.

"So, do you wanna come in? I can make us some tea and we can talk for a bit before the festival." Isabelle said. Totakeke smiled and gave a curt nod.

"I'd like that."

~~~~~~

The two dogs sat together in the kitchen with cookies and tea as they tried to catch up on as much as they could. K.K. looked around the house and saw that a lot of it was really neat and yet messy at the same time.

"I'm assuming you and Digby live together," K.K. said before taking a sip from his tea. Isabelle looked at K.K. confused.

"Uhh yeah, we do. How'd you know that?" Isabelle asked. K.K. chuckled and took a bite out of his cookie before he spoke.