Uprooted

Geonosis: 20 BBY
Republic Cruiser "Tranquility"
Commander Axe

    The medbay level was bustling with activity when Axe and R3 stepped out of the lift. More ships had arrived with the injured and the hallways were filled with personnel of all kinds. They skirted the edge of the hallway, staying out of the way.

    They ducked into Irel's room and sealed the door. The medical droid was nowhere in sight. Irel sat with a vacant expression on her face. R3 whistled and rolled over to her. She dropped a hand onto his dome and the droid rumbled a bit.

    "Yeah, I'm ok," Irel smiled down at the droid. "I'm going to Coruscant and you're coming with me." R3 chirped excitedly.

    "Here," Axe knelt down and handed the two algorithm chips to R3. "Keep these safe." R3 whistled and rolled out of the room, headed back to the bay to find their shuttle.

He turned back to Irel. "I think we have a few things to talk about."

"A few?" Irel raised an eyebrow. "I'd say there's one thing in particular." Axe tilted his head in recognition. "My being a Jedi and you being a clone is going to be an issue," Irel raised a hand to her chin. "But we've waited long enough."

Axe nodded his agreement. "I couldn't pretend anymore, even if I had to."

"It will have to be a secret, at least until the war is over," Irel said. "Then, I can leave the Jedi Order."

A thought popped up in his mind. "But do you want to leave the Order?"

"I will always be a Jedi, but the Order...it's not what it once was. I'm not sure it's the place for me anymore," Irel replied. "Besides, I don't have a padawan or anything so there wouldn't be much of an issue if I left."

"Only if you're sure," Axe said.

"I am." A mischievous gleam entered her eyes. "But you definitely have to stop calling me General now. At least when it's just us."

"Veres and Rigger have heard me call you Irel before, but around the others, I can't slip up," Axe said. He furrowed his brow, thinking. "Can I call you El?"

"You can call me whatever you like, as long as it's nothing fancy," Irel replied. "Oh, don't forget to send me the casualty list from this battle, or save it so I can add to my crystal."

"Of course."

The doorway hissed open and two clones stepped in. "The General's shuttle is ready, Sir," one of them said. Axe stepped back as they moved Irel onto a floating chair, so she could sit up. Axe fell in step behind them as they headed towards the hangar bay.

    The clones activated the gravity locks on Irel's seat in the shuttle. R3 rolled over to her swiftly. The clones disembarked. Irel gripped Axe's hand tightly. "I'll be back as soon as I can."

    "We'll be waiting." His hand tightened around hers briefly, before he let go and jumped off the ship. The shuttle ramp closed and lifted off. The ship's intercom switched on and he heard his name being called. Axe sprinted to the nearest lift and took it up to the command center.

    Admiral Westley had a holotable switched on as he entered. "Commander, over here, if you will." Axe joined him quickly. "The new general will be here soon," Admiral Westley said. "Until then, your job is to move the troops towards the Stalgasin Hive."

    "That's one of the headquarters here, right?"

    "Yes, there are several droid factories within the hive and important military officers are often found there. The 918th has been ordered to take the hive. Knocking out one of their biggest facilities is another step closer to winning this war."