4

Chapter Four// Detention

Flora's mind reeled. She couldn't understand what this— if there even was a this— was with Alex.

Was it sexual? Because it sure seemed tense to her, and she was certainly frustrated.

But Flora wasn't sure she was looking for that just yet. Perhaps unsurprisingly so, Flora was a virgin.

She thought she may be romanticizing her first time too much. She didn't care if it was cliché; like on her prom night, or in the back of the quarterback's pickup truck. All she asked was that it be with someone who cared for her, and whom she cared for in return.

While Alex could make any girl swoon, she wasn't sure he was what she wanted, or that she was what he wanted. They were simply too different, Flora had decided.

Flora paced back and forth outside first period History. She could practically envision Alex slouched over his desk, his muscular frame far too big for the small seating. His blue eyes would be intoxicating, his dark hair tousled, and his chiseled features sporting that uninterested look he always seemed to have.

That is, except for yesterday.

At first Flora hadn't known what to think, as Alex stormed over to her angrier than she'd ever seen anyone before; she swore she saw her life flash quickly before her eyes. If anything, she thought she'd die from sheer embarrassment. But then he seemed almost... relaxed in the car.

He truly was a mystery, Flora concluded.

And, she just decided, this mystery would have to do without her in History today. Not that he'd care, Flora thought, allowing her feet to carry her as far away from the classroom— and from Alex— as possible.

Meanwhile, Alex sat impatiently in the classroom. He cursed under his breath for showing up early, all for some girl who was clearly avoiding him.

He should've fucked her, he thought. Then he'd move on like he always had, no feelings involved— at least not for him.

But something about Flora was different. She didn't throw herself at him, she didn't even seem to want to be around him at times— sort of like today.

He had enough of History and the girls peaking 'sly' over-the-shoulder glances at him. He grabbed his bag and stormed out of the class. He could faintly hear Mr. Bronson's scolding tone, but he tuned it out, like he always had with anyone of authority.

Alex and authority didn't mix. He liked being in charge— being dominant. He liked that guys wanted to be around him and girls wanted to be under him. It was validating.

He was Alexander Steele, for God's sakes.

He didn't know where he was going, he only knew he had to leave the school, it was suffocating. The walls were becoming closer and closer and he practically collapsed with relief once the cool, autumn air hit his tatted skin.

He dug deep in his jean pockets, grabbing his keys and heading towards his car. Just as he slid into the warmth of his vehicle, he spotted Flora sitting alone in the same spot she always sat.

He stared at her the way she had always looked at him— with fascination. He noticed how strands of her golden hair fell messily into her face while she read her book. He noticed how she scrunched up her nose every so often. He noticed how she licked her finger before turning each page. And boy, did that make his mind wander to dirty places.

He immediately pulled his key from the ignition, he would regret this somehow, he just knew it. Alexander Steele doesn't do feelings. He did girls, but that was it.