16

Chapter Sixteen// Explosive

Please don't do it, please don't do it.

Flora found herself repeating the same words over and over again in her mind like a mantra, as Alex stared down Brad with the nastiest, most intimidating glare she had ever seen.

His buff arms were crossed over his chest, his nostrils flared, and his eyes never leaving Brad's. It was as though he was intently monitoring his every move, and just like a lion after it's prey, if he tried anything, he would pounce.

Brad shifted uncomfortably under Alex's gaze. The tension was so thick it was nearly unbearable. The three of them sat around the living room, awkwardly awaiting the return of Flora's mother. Alex made sure to position himself between Flora and Brad, he didn't even let him give her a welcome hug when he arrived at the door. So, yeah, the tension was thick.

"So Flora," Brad began, shrugging his coat off his shoulders and tossing it atop the coffee table. Flora hated how at-home he made himself— this would never be his home, at least not as long as she had something to say about it.

"How's school been going? Senior year, right?"

"It's going ugh—" she paused when the arm Alex had
securely wrapped around her waist, tightened its grip.

"Good," she finished, softly tapping Alex's hand that sat on her hip, signalling that she was alright. She had to admit, she loved this side of Alex. She felt completely and utterly safe with him. She knew that as long as he was around, nobody could ever hurt her— he'd hurt them first.

"So..." Brad's words trailed off into the tense atmosphere.

"Are you two..."

"Yes," Alex deadpanned, not even sparing Flora a glance, his eyes unwavering on Brad. Geez, even she found it intimidating. Brad must be shitting himself.

"So, you're dating?"

"Isn't that what I just said?" Alex spat, his hold on Flora tightening once again.

Wait, what?

Dating? Flora thought quizzically. Had she missed something? Sure, they had gotten much, much closer— and in more ways than one— but they certainly weren't dating.

"Huh," Brad pondered, a look of jealousy falling over his features, "interesting."

"There's nothing 'interesting' about it, you pervert," Alex barked back, his chest rising and falling rapidly. Flora knew he was a ticking time bomb, and Brad was so, so close to releasing his fuse.

"Alex!" Flora scolded. She hated Brad, in fact, she loathed him. Nonetheless, for the sake of her mother, who—for a reason of which Flora could never understand— seemed happy with him, she would force herself to not be the one to jeopardize that.

Alex sighed, he would try to bite his tongue for Flora's sake, but it would be damn near impossible. He thought of all the ways he could hurt him as his hardened gaze bore into Brad— and he found it oddly calming. Brad was a heavier-set man, but Alex knew he could take him. Besides, with the level of rage Alex felt towards him, there was no losing that fight.

"It's alright," Brad began, leaning back in his seat, and throwing his arms smugly behind his head.

"You're a very beautiful girl, I can understand why a little competition would scare him."

Suddenly Flora no longer felt Alex's arm wrapped securely around her waist, and in a flash he was up from the couch and towering over Brad.

"Say that again, asshole!" Alex growled, roughly grabbing ahold of Brad's collar.