Chapter 5

Yesterday was Canada Day! It made me wonder, and I'm genuinely curious, where is everyone from? If you're comfortable with it, leave a comment with what country you're from:)

Riley's POV

Something changed when I finally had a sip of that alcohol, and I realized just how good it felt to be bad. The weight was lifted off my shoulders entirely, for what felt like the first time in forever. I'd done bad things before, never anything as 'bad' as this though, but finally giving in after being so uptight, I realized how much better it felt to just let go. Why was I trying to maintain a life that wasn't me anymore? So maybe I only started smoking and vaping and acting out after James and I broke up, so it's still a relatively new thing, but it's who I am now. I shouldn't pretend to be the old me if that's not who I am. I can't be the perfect little Catholic girl my parents want anymore. I don't want anything from my old life anymore. That life is too boring. I need exciting and spontaneous. I'll just tell James not to bother about getting me back, I doubt he was serious about it anyway. I gave him so many chances already. Why would this time be different? Why should I try if he isn't going to? I walked out of Trent's apartment at 11:30, feeling refreshed. I wasn't worried about being late for dance, in fact I'd decided I wasn't going to go at all. I don't need dance and I certainly don't need A troupe. Maybe Michelle was onto something with leaving. I'll be much happier having free time to spend with my new friends. And possibly my new boyfriend. I smiled as I stepped outside, feeling good for once. I felt better than I have in a while, even better than I did yesterday when James spun me that bullshit about getting me back. I don't need him. I don't need any of them. I'm ready for my 'fresh start'. Step one: appearance.

••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••

Emily's POV

Dance started hours ago, but Riley never showed up. I didn't see her this morning, and I wasn't sure if she came home last night either. I was getting worried. She never goes somewhere without telling someone, and she always comes to dance. She's been acting different lately, ever since her breakup, and it's had me concerned. She tries to hide it from me, but I know somethings going on. I had texted her to make sure she was okay, she told me not to worry about her. I wasn't sure what she was thinking right now, or what she was trying to pull. It wasn't funny though. At around 1:30 Amanda called a lunch break, and everyone had left. I was currently alone in the studio, practicing new choreography, it only being 2:00. There was still another half hour of lunch left, so I wasn't expecting anyone else to be here. So I was surprised when I heard footsteps. I assumed it was Riley finally showing up, or another A troupe member back from lunch early. However, when I looked I didn't recognize who stood at the door. She looked to be a teenager, and had short, bleach blonde hair, and a nose ring. She wore a black crop top, with black ripped jeans, and a leather jacket. Despite being inside, she also wore sunglasses over her eyes. "I'm sorry, this is a closed rehearsal." I told them, crossing my arms.
"You don't recognize me? That hurts Em." A familiar voice said, pretending to sound hurt. My eyes widened in shock.
"Riley?!" I gasped. She smiled, pulling her sunglasses off.
"In the flesh." She responded coldly. "Anyway, I just wanted to stop by and ask you to pass a message to Kate for me. Tell her I'm quitting A troupe." Riley said, leaning against the doorway. She reached in her pocket, retrieving a cigarette and lighter. She placed the cigarette in her mouth, lighting it, before putting the lighter back in her pocket. She removed the cigarette from her lips, releasing a puff of smoke.
"Get that poison out of your mouth! And what are you wearing?! And what did you do to your hair?!" I questioned. Riley shook her head at me, just turning and starting to walk away. "Riley!" I yelled, and she turned around to look at me one last time. "It's Miss Kate." My sister rolled her eyes, turning her back to me and leaving me alone, and in shock.