Chapter 10

Sorry for the late-ish update!
Enjoy xo

Riley's POV

I was surprised to open the door and see my mother and sister standing there. "What are you doing here?!" I snapped. I crossed my arms, looking at them dully. "How did you find me?"
"Come home Riley. Please." My mother said, reaching out to touch my arm.
"Don't." I mumbled, pulling my arm from her grasp. She dropped her hand, looking down and licking her lips. "How did you find me?" I repeated my question.
"Emily had your phone on Find My iPhone." Mom responded. I sighed, turning my head away from them.
"Riley, please stop this. Come home. We miss you." Emily told me.
"I'm happy here." I stated.
"We know." Mom replied, surprising both myself and my sister. "So I know asking you to come home is stupid, because you don't want to. But please, just come over for a couple hours tomorrow, your father's away on business, he doesn't have to know. I want to spend time with my little girl on her 17th birthday." My mom pleaded, tears in her eyes as she stared at me sadly. I sighed.
"I'm not your 'little girl'." I told her snippily. Her eyes closed, and I watch a tear slip down her cheek. I felt a pang at my heart, and almost wanted to cry myself. But I didn't. "I'll try to stop by." I assured her, letting the attitude leave my voice. She opened her eyes again, giving me a smile, before her and Emily left.

••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••

"Happy birthday baby." I heard a deep voice whisper in my ear. I turned, opening my eyes to see Trenton smiling at me.
"Thanks." I replied, cuddling into his chest.
"What do you want to do today?" He asked me, combing his fingers through my hair. My mind flashed to yesterday, and I sighed.
"I told my mom I'd go see her for a few hours today." I told him. His fingers froze in my hair, and I knew he wasn't happy with what I had said. "Trent?" I asked, looking up at him.
"I don't want you going back there." He stated sternly. "I don't trust them." He continued.
"They're my family. And I promised. Have you ever seen me break a promise?" I questioned. He pulled away from me, standing up.
"No." He said, his back facing me. "But I don't think it's a good idea." I threw the covers off myself, walking to wrap my arms around him from behind.
"Just a few hours, then I'll come back and make it up to you." I told him, placing a few kisses on his shoulder and neck.
"You have to let Mya, John, Connor and I take you out for dinner first." Trent replied, turning to face me again.
"Okay." I agreed, not realizing how busy the restaurant would be, or how quickly I'd lose track of time, or that when I did finally show up at my parents house, all the lights would be out already.

••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••

Emily's POV

Mom looked at the time again, sighing. She'd gotten up so early this morning to make Riley the cake that sat in front of her, still untouched, the 17 candles in the cake still unlit. She glanced over to the counter, where a few brightly wrapped presents sat, still unopened. I watched mom try to inconspicuously wipe a tear away, before she stood up. "I'm going to bed." She announced, failing to hide how hurt she was.
"Not yet mom, Riley could still come by, it's only 10." I told her, attempting to reassure her. But it was a lost cause. We both could assume by now that Riley wasn't coming.
"It doesn't matter." Mom stated. "Your father's right, we don't need her. Turn the lights off on your way up." I sighed, watching her go upstairs, sniffling quietly. I lifted the cake off the table, putting it in the fridge, before turning the lights off and heading up to get ready for bed.
"Why did you do that Riley?" I mumbled to myself, pulling the covers back and climbing into bed. The last thing I saw before falling asleep was headlights streaming through the window, as I cursed whoever was using our driveway to make a u-turn.