Chapter 9

Emily's POV

"Where's Riley?" Those were the first words to leave my mother's mouth when she got home from work. Probably because she'd been expecting to see Riley smoking outside or something like she was yesterday. I hesitated. I really did not want to tell her Riley had 'moved out'. But I had to, Riley wouldn't come back unless my parents forced her. So I took a deep inhale, before telling her.
"Riley told me she was moving in with her new boyfriend." I said. Moms eyes widened.
"What?!" She snapped. "Where is she?!" She asked.
"I don't know. I just saw her carry a suitcase down the stairs, before leaving out the front door." I explained. Mom sighed, grabbing the phone and dialling Riley's number.
"Riley Carter!" I heard her exclaim. "You will stop this none sense right now!" Then silence as Riley responded. "Don't use those words with me!" More silence. "Where are you?! I'm coming to get you!" Even more silence. "I am your mother! You will listen to me! Do you under-" Mom stopped, sighing as she put down the phone. "She hung up on me." She mumbled, shaking her head. "Just wait till your father hears about this."

Riley's POV

I put my phone on the table, continuing to watch tv. I won't go back to living with my parents, they don't understand me. No one does. I'm not 'sad', I'm not 'rebelling', I'm not doing any of the things they're saying I am. I just found who I am, and I'm trying to live that life. I realized I'm a person who likes to have fun with her friends, sometimes get a little hammered. I smoke the occasional cigarette, sometimes I vape, but there's nothing wrong with that. As long as I keep it under control, I don't need lung cancer. I also like the 'dangerous' guys, like Trent. I like to live in the moment with him, and not worry about later. I realized I don't like to worry about anything, actually. Worrying is pointless, you can't control most of what happens, so it's stupid to stress over it. All I need to be happy is a good boyfriend, some close friends, a home and maybe a dog. I wouldn't mind a dog. What I don't need is people, like my family, who are gonna tell me I can't be who I really am. I don't need the people I thought were my friends. And I especially don't need anyone like James. Just me, Trent, my friends and a dog.

Emily's POV

"Is there anyway we can track her down and bring her home?" Mom asked dad. Her voice was cracking as she spoke. I could tell she was in tears, so distraught over Riley being gone.
"Does it matter?! Why should we?! She's a disgrace!" Dad replied.
"She's our daughter. Our baby." Mom sobbed.
"She's a failure! We don't need her!" Dad stated. I was in the living room, listening to them talk through the door to my dad's study. I was shocked. I know Riley is rebelling right now, trying to do everything she can to hurt the people around her, but it's just because she's been hurt. She's a good person, I know she is. She'll come to her senses. We just have to give her some time. I'm absolutely shocked dad wants to forget about her, let her go off destroying her life.
"Please, she's our daughter." Mom pleaded, her voice shaking. "We can help her."
"We don't need her if she's going to act that way! Now I have to go catch my plane, I don't want to discuss this again!" Dad threw the door of his study open, walking straight towards the front door. Without another word, he left, leaving mom in tears.