Chapter 11

Riley's POV

I sighed as Trenton pulled in the driveway of my parents house at 10:10. Not a single light was on. "Are you going to go up and ring the doorbell or what?" He asked me after we had sat silently in the driveway for a few minutes. I shook my head.
"Let's just go back to your apartment. Sorry for the unnecessary detour." I told him. He pulled out of my driveway, heading back down the street, while I watched my house disappear farther and farther behind us, feeling more upset with each second passing. Had they really wanted to celebrate my birthday with me? Or was it all a lie, made up to make me feel bad for choosing to be independent? They tricked me. They don't love me, no one does. No one except Trenton and my friends, that is. I stared out my window as Trent turned onto the highway, not daring to let him see my face. I know he wouldn't be happy to see the tears dripping down my cheeks. The half an hour drive back to Trenton's apartment was silent, and as we entered the building the silence lingered; but as we got to his apartment, it was disrupted. What caused the silence to break? A very strict woman, the landlord, and a police officer, all who stood outside Trent's apartment, waiting for us.

••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••

Michelle's POV

I was surprised to see Riley standing outside my door in tears at midnight. She had been trying very hard to cut all ties with everyone from The Next Step. Even her sister. "Riley, what's wrong?" I asked gently.
"A social worker came to Trent's apartment, they'd found out he wasn't living with his foster family and are moving him to a different home. It's in Vancouver. His landlord kicked us out, and none of my other friend's parents would approve of me staying there, and my parents want nothing to do with me. And I know yours probably wouldn't want me here either, but you told me if I ever needed anything to come to you, and I was just hoping your offer still stands..... But I can understand why it wouldn't. Actually, just forget it, I don't know why I came here, but it was stupid." She rambled. "I'm sorry." She added, before turning to leave.
"Riley wait." I told her. She looked back at me, licking her lips as tears slipped down her cheeks. "Come in. Please." I said, opening the door wider for her. A small smile spread across her face as she stepped inside. "Go up to my room, clean yourself up, change, you can borrow some of my pyjamas if you need. You know where everything is." I told her. She smiled weakly at me again, heading upstairs to do as I told her. Only a minute later, my mom walked down the stairs, her arms crossed.
"What's going on?!" She asked quietly. "Who's upstairs and what is she doing here?!" She snapped, still keeping her voice to a whisper.
"Mom, that's Riley." I replied back quietly. Her eyes widened in shock. "She's in a bad place right now, and I want to help her out of it. Her family won't have anything to do with her, she's lost all her friends. Please trust me on this, you know she's a good person, you know who she really is. Can you let me help her to get back on track?" I asked. Mom sighed, letting her arms drop to her sides.
"She's lucky she's my favourite of your friends." She told me, before turning and heading back to her room.