𝚄𝚜𝚞𝚊𝚕 𝙼𝚘𝚛𝚗𝚒𝚗𝚐𝚜.

AUGUST 2015, 6:15 AM

Nasir rubbed his eyes and rose from bed

Nasir rubbed his eyes and rose from bed. His alarm had snatched him from his sleep. Again.

"Another day." He grumbled to himself.

He heard his grandfather walking around getting ready for work and smelled his grandmother down in the kitchen cooking breakfast. He took a deep breath and walked into his bathroom to get ready for his day. Within an hour he was showered, dressed, and ready for breakfast before he had to head off to school.

"Morning Pops, Morning Nana." He sat his book bag down at the foot of the steps and went to hug his grandmother. "Morning Nas." She beamed at her handsome grandson as she placed the pancakes on the plate she made for Nasir.

"Ready for school?" Papa Steve asked as he looked over the paper. "Yeah, I guess.." Nasir hadn't been too fond of school or his peers. He always felt the need to be one step ahead of everyone while keeping a close eye on what was going on around him. He always wanted to be ready for any situation.

"Stop all that mugging and put something on your stomach before you leave!" Nana Grace placed his plate in front of him and turned back to the counter. "Where's mine?" Papa Steve asked. "You got two feet." She said looking him up and down causing Nasir to eye the couple and laugh.

Ever since that morning Nasir was left on their porch, things had changed. Papa Steve and Nana Grace tried their best to find Raven and Trevante but had no luck. They went to the house only to find it empty and no car in sight. They found out that Raven had stopped working months ago and that Trevante had been making a name for himself in the streets. From what everyone was saying, they had some unpaid debt.

So they decided to raise their grandchild the best they could. They gave him love and of course had taught him the best they could but Nas was different. He wasn't a bad kid, he was just standoffish. His withdrawn behavior only worsened once the day came when he asked his grandparents about his parents.

"Nana Gracie?"
"Yes Nas?"
The two were sitting on the porch and  a then 8 year old Nasir had finally gained the courage to ask a question he'd been holding in for a few months now.
"Um..I have a question.."
"Well? Spit it out!" She laughed and looked  over at her grandson. She realized he had a concerned look on his face.
"Nas, baby, what's wrong?" She pulled him closer to comfort him.
"Well..Where my parents at? All the kids at school  have theirs...Day Day at my school  play video games with his dad every Saturday morning..Are mine dead or something?" He fiddled with his fingers and looked down at his shoes.

Nana Grace's heart pounded against her chest. She knew the day would come when he had questions but she never knew how she would tell him. She didn't wanna lie to him.
As if on cue, Papa Steve pulled into the driveway and got out of his car. As we walked up porch he could tell there was some kind of tension.

"What's going on? Why the long faces? I thought y'all would be happy to see me!" He said smiling.
"Pops, Where's my parents?" Nasir repeated his question this time with a little bit of anger.
Papa Steve widened his eyes. He couldn't lie to his grandson.
"Well Nas," he started "They- They left." It broke his heart to tell his grandson that his mother and father went off God knows where without even taking their child along.

"They didn't want me?" Nasir whispered. His hazel eyes stung as tears threatened to fall. He blinked a few times and looked between his grandparents. "Nas, we don't know what happened. We're just glad you're safe and healthy. We love you and we're so glad you're her- " Nas stood up from his seat and stormed into the house without saying another word.

From that point on he became sort of reserved. They knew he had a friend who would always stop past. They couldn't keep her away but they loved it. It was nice knowing Nasir had a friend.  But Nas was still struggling deep down. He wanted to know why his parents left him. At this point he was 16 and started to let go of the idea of ever meeting his parents, he was fine with the photos. He just wanted his answers.

Nas was just finishing up his breakfast when there was a knock at the door. He chuckled knowing exactly who was at the door. He watched Pops get up and answer the door. Nola Walked in right on cue, dressed in her usual sweats and hoodie. He watched Nola hug Pops and Nana, wishing them a good morning.

"Ready?" Nas looked down at his watch seeing it was 7:50. School started at 8:30. He nodded, kissed his grandmother goodbye, and hugged his grandfather. He grabbed his book bag and walked out the door.

"Y'all be safe and have a good day!" Nana shouted from the porch as she watched them walk down the street.

"So you ready for today?" Nas sucked his teeth. "Not for real but I mean I ont really got a choice do I?" He spoke with a bit of sarcasm.

"You always actin pissy. Smile boy." Nola grinned at him as they turned the corner. Nola always found Nas to be handsome but she just always kept it to herself. Nas wasn't really the affectionate type nor was he the boyfriend type.

She and Nas met during their elementary school days in Ms. Jackson's 1st grade classroom. Nola walked right up to him and declared him to be her best friend and Nasir didn't resist. He secretly liked how extroverted Nola was because it balanced him out. Whenever kids picked on him,she was there and whenever a kid picked on Nola, Nas was there to put them in their place.

Finally arriving at school, they walked down the loud crowded hall to their lockers. "Wanna come over after school?" Nola asked. "I guess I could. I need help with that math homework."

"The geometry?" "Yeah that shit hard." Nola laughed at the frustration on his face. "Sure Nas, I got you. I'll see you after school." She smiled at him and wandered down the hall to her first period class. Nas looked up watching her walk away with a small smile on his face.

———————————————————————
couldn't help myself lol.
The first few chapters are written  in omniscient before we get into POV's. There is some time jumping in the first few chapters and they will only cover important events. Hope y'all like it. 😭

Roddy said: "vote and add this book to ya mf library cause it's bouta be lit"

this chapter is dedicated to Chantebell25 ☺️