𝙶𝚘𝚘𝚍𝚋𝚢𝚎.

AUGUST 2016, 6:30AM

Nasir creeped into the house being careful not to wake Nana Grace

Nasir creeped into the house being careful not to wake Nana Grace. He tip toed up the stairs and down the hall to his room. Sunlight was peaking through the clouds as the Compton sky reflected a beautiful shade of orange and blue.

He'd been working all night and was exhausted. He stepped out of his shoes, snatched off his clothes, and slipped into bed. His life had been like this for some months now. Not too long after Papa Steve passed, Nas picked up the slack the only way he knew how. Drugs. He linked up with Quan and Bryson, who he met one day outside of the corner store. They taught him everything they knew and made him their protégée. He showed plenty of promise and operated just like a natural.

Nas became wrapped up in the money and the game so quickly that he just paid people to do his school work and give him answers to tests. He skipped school a lot but made sure he was present for graduation.

He was so wrapped up that he forgot about his best friend, Nola. She saw how fast he was changing. He became so hardened and nonchalant. He never wanted hang out after school or weekends because he was working. She would call or text to check on him but he'd never answer. She would stop by the house but he was never home so she just chatted with Nana Gracie before going back home. Nas became obsessed with money and his "job". His loyalty was now to the streets so Nola embraced her loneliness. She had no siblings or other friends, just Nasir. But she didn't really have him either, did she?

"How could he be so hypocritical?" She found herself asking this question often whenever she thought back to that night in Papa Steve's car. The night he died. One of the last memories they shared together.

Nasir was so self absorbed and selfish now. He'd ignore his grandmother's pleas for him to come home. He'd still pay the bills and leave money for groceries but that was about it. He didn't want to argue with his grandmother. She had to understand that he was doing this for her. Grace hated what Nasir became. She loved her grand baby to death and she knew he just wanted to provide but this wasn't the way. He was putting his life at risk for money and she couldn't stomach it. She would often pray to her husband, begging him to help Nas see some type of light.

Nas' eyes grew heavy as he laid in bed balled up under his comforter. His eyes had just closed when he heard Nana Grace's gospel CD blare through her stereo. "Fuck, It's Sunday." Nas mumbled. Sunday's were for gospel music, cleaning, and cooking. No if ands or buts. He sucked his teeth and laid there waiting for Gracie to burst through the door. Right on cue she swung the door open. "Hope you had a good time last night but it's time to get up." She walked into his room and picked up his laundry which reeked of weed. "Boy, you been smoking?" She said eyeing him. Nasir said nothing and just continued to lay in his bed with his eyes closed. "Boy, I know you hear me." She put her hands on her hips. "It was one time Grandma.." He lied straight through his teeth. "Don't bring that in my house. Do whatever you want out there but DO NOT bring that in here." She picked up the laundry basket and exited the room to go wash a load.