Chapter Twenty

"That's her phone!" Kaethe exclaimed as she stepped closer to Ian, looking at the small device. She looked around, seeing if anything else might be there. "But.. Ian, what's it doing here?"

He didn't answer her instead he played with the phone, going through her text messages. Nothing stood out to him as suspicious. All the text messages were from people she knew or so it seemed. It was when he started going through her deleted messages that something stood out of place. "Kaethe, do you know this number?" He asked with a frown as he held the phone out towards her.

She leaned towards the phone, reading the messages. Her frown deepen. "I don't know that number or even that area code," she said as she moved her gaze to Ian's worried one. "Do you think it has something to do with her disappearance?"

"Could be, I don't know," Ian replied as he looked back at the phone. The messages were strange, like Makaria didn't know who it was so she didn't respond back. However, with every hour that she didn't respond, the messages got more demanding. The last one stood out among the others.

I will kill you and not even your god father will be able to bring you back! ANSWER ME, LITTLE BICTH!

"Well, whoever it is they were getting angry because she wasn't texting them back," he commented. "I'm going to head back to the Underworld."

They were standing out in the middle of the hall looking at the phone when voices sounded from down the hallway. Soon shadows pursue the echoing voices. Ian stepped back against the wall blending his body in with the paint, while Kaethe and Quinn hid in the shadows. A group of students passed by, laughing and giggling. They paid no attention to the three hiding.

Quinn leaned out, watching as the group of girls walked by before he glanced over at Ian, worry in his eyes. "Guys, we better get going to where ever it is that we're going before a teacher comes through," he told them. "Because if we get caught, I'm not taking the blame." His gaze went to Kaethe. "Not again."

Ian didn't want to ask what that meant, sensing some history behind those words. Instead, he nodded his head. Turning around with his back facing the couple, he waved his hand and a wind tunnel appeared. "We go this way," he announced as he gestured towards the tunnel. "It's the fastest way to the Underworld."

Kaethe nodded her head before she took off in a run towards the open portal, Quinn right behind her. Ian took one last look around, making sure no one was watching them before he disappeared into the swirling vortex. Once all three were gone, the portal vanished just as Mr. Henderson turned the corner. The only sense that anything had happened was the wind picking up a piece of paper and transporting it to the teacher's face.

 The only sense that anything had happened was the wind picking up a piece of paper and transporting it to the teacher's face

Makaria screamed. She could feel the blood as it poured down her chest and arm, hot liquid as it left a metallic taste in the air. She pushed the creature off her, kicking it in the face as it fell backwards. Jumping back to its feet rather quickly, it stopped its advances and stood there, growling at her.