Chapter 9: I Love You, Maya

Author's note:

The feeling of love is so beautiful—it makes you feel like you're on top of the world. But remember, never fake love. You can never truly know how deeply the other person feels, and how your actions might impact them if their love is genuine.

Today, I dressed in black—the color in which Aditya once complimented me. The moment I looked in the mirror, my mom smiled and told me I looked beautiful. It felt nice, though my dad had already left for his business trip abroad. He's always busy, but he never forgets to call or visit us a couple of times a year. Sometimes, I wonder if my mom feels lonely. But then I remind myself that my father is working hard for our better life.

I hope Aditya never leaves me alone like that. He's my first love, and everyone says it's impossible to forget your first love.

Thankfully, Aditi was with me today. As we walked toward the classroom, I heard some cheering behind me. When I turned around, there he was—Aditya, standing with a wide smile on his face.

I smiled back at him, but what he did next was something I could've never expected. Right there, in front of everyone, Aditya kneeled down in front of me.

"I love you, Maya. Will you be my girlfriend?"

Was this real? I was in shock. My mind couldn't process it. Was I dreaming? He was proposing to me, in front of the whole college! My throat felt dry, and I couldn't speak a word.

"Maya, say something!" Aditi's voice snapped me back to reality.

This was the moment I had been waiting for—dreaming of—for months. I loved him, and I couldn't lose him. If I said no now, it would be my worst nightmare come to life.

"Yes, I will be your girlfriend," I finally said, and Aditya immediately pulled me into a hug. I wrapped my arms around him, my heart beating wildly.

"I've been waiting for this, Maya. I love you," he whispered into my ear before gently pulling me along with him. Aditi gave me a knowing smile before heading off with Rohan, leaving me with Aditya.

"I can't believe this is happening, Aditya. It feels like a dream come true," I said, walking beside him and sneaking in a side hug. I wished time could stop, that this moment could last forever.

"Me too," he replied. "It wasn't easy, you know. You're not easy to get, Maya. But I'm glad it's you. You're all I want."

I chuckled, the warmth in my chest growing. "Where are we going?" I asked.

"For a long walk... where no one can see us," he said with a playful smile.

We walked together, leaving the campus behind until we reached a cozy restaurant. We ate lunch there, laughing and talking about everything under the sun—random things, small things. I didn't care that I was missing college again. Being with Aditya made me happier than I had ever been. But I also made a mental note to finish my work once I got home.

With every step, I found myself silently praying to God. I wanted this moment to freeze in time, where it was just Aditya and me, together.

"Aditya, can I ask you something?" I said, breaking the momentary silence. A question had been bothering me, and I needed to hear his answer.

"Ask me anything, baby," he said, his voice soft and reassuring.

I hesitated but then asked, "Why do people call you a playboy?"

Aditya's expression didn't change. He looked me in the eyes and shrugged. "I don't know. Maybe because I've been with a lot of girls... that's why."

His answer stung. My heart ached at the thought that all those rumors were true. He had been with many girls before me. Suddenly, I wasn't the only one in his life.

Sensing my discomfort, Aditya reached over and placed his hand over mine. "Don't worry, Maya. I won't leave you. I love you," he said, his eyes meeting mine, and for a moment, I let myself believe him.

I was lost in his gaze, allowing his words to sink in. My heart, which had been aching a moment ago, slowly softened. I believed him—how could I not, when I loved him so much? Love makes you blind to the things that hurt, and I chose to trust him.

People always say you shouldn't trust everyone, because some people are true, and others are fake. But when it comes to the heart, how can you help it? How can you stop trusting the one you love?

Stay tuned for more chapters and don't forget to vote and comment!
Sending love your way—stay safe and healthy! 💐❤️