Chapter 3: Black Suits You

Today I was running late for college, all thanks to Aditi's insistence that I wear black. According to her, black is my color, and I'd look stunning in it. So, here I am, following her fashion orders as usual.

But the real reason behind this black outfit? Well, today is my birthday! I'm so excited, yayy! I rushed downstairs, still putting on my earrings, when my mother's voice echoed through the hall.

"Oh my God, Maya! You look absolutely stunning. My baby girl has grown up to be so beautiful. Happy Birthday, darling! May God bless you, and may you find a lovely partner in life," she said with love and, of course, tears in her eyes.

"Oh, Mom! Don't cry. Love you so much! I'm really late, so I'll see you soon. Tell Dad I love him if he calls, okay? Bye!" I said, kissing her quickly before darting out the door.

Usually, Aditi would be with me, but today she said she'd meet me directly at college. So there I was, waiting for the bus, already having missed my regular one. God, please help me. As I was internally pleading, a car pulled up, and when the window rolled down, I saw him—Aditya.

Am I dreaming? Someone, please pinch me! What is he doing here? Oh God, just spare me today, at least!

"Hop in. I'll drop you. I'm heading to college anyway," he offered, genuinely.

"Thanks, but I'll wait for the bus," I replied, hoping he'd leave.

But no, he got out of the car and stood right there.
"Come on, you'll get late. I'm just helping you." He was persistent.

After a moment of hesitation—because I was indeed late—I reluctantly agreed and got in the car. As we drove, the silence filled the air until he broke it.

"Is there something special today?" he asked, raising an eyebrow.

"Why?" I kept my response short, trying to avoid further conversation.

"You're dressed up... You look really beautiful today." He smiled that perfect, heart-stopping smile. Aditi was right—he looks ridiculously handsome when he smiles. I felt my cheeks burn with the compliment.

I must've been lost in my thoughts because he snapped his fingers right in front of my eyes, pulling me back to reality.
"Yeah, it's my birthday," I said in a low tone, hoping he wouldn't make a big deal out of it.

But of course, he did.
"Oh, great! Happy Birthday to you, Happy Birthday to you, Happy Birthday dear Maya, Happy Birthday to you!" he sang, his voice surprisingly smooth.

Stop it, Maya. Stay away from boys! This is the last time you're talking to him, I reminded myself.

I forced a small smile and mumbled a thank you. As soon as we reached college, I hurried to open the door, desperate to escape the flurry of emotions. But he stopped me.

"Patience, Maya, patience," he said, grinning at my rush. I couldn't help but chuckle, feeling foolish.

Oh God, what is he doing to me?

He finally unlocked the door, and I stepped out, walking quickly to put distance between us. But, of course, he wasn't going to let me go that easily. Matching my pace, I noticed his friends hanging out by the main gate, and I panicked. Please don't let them see us together! They'll think something's up.

Thankfully, he stopped just before we reached them, but as I walked away, he called out,
"Black suits you, Maya. You look ravishing."

I felt my face burn with embarrassment, my heart racing. What is he doing to me?

When I finally made it to class, Aditi was already there. I sat beside her, hoping to get my mind off the morning's events.

"Why are you blushing, my darling?" she asked, immediately suspicious. "Did he ask you out? Oh my God, I'm so happy for you!" She clapped her hands excitedly.

"Stop it, Adi. Nothing happened. I was just running late, that's all," I lied, trying to keep her from digging deeper.

She quieted down, but not before hugging me and wishing me a happy birthday.
"Oh, and I almost forgot to tell you—you're looking killer today! If Aditya sees you, he won't be able to take his eyes off you!" she teased, rolling her eyes dramatically.

I laughed it off, but deep down, I couldn't stop thinking about him. He already saw me... and I can still hear his words: 'You look ravishing.' They echoed in my head, making my heart race all over again.

Stay tuned for more! Things are heating up, and you won't want to miss it! Don't forget to vote and comment—I'd love to hear your thoughts! ❤️😘