Chapter 20

I was nervous as I stood near my locker. Nervous that I would see Xavier with a girl any minute. And even though it was me who gave him the right, I still feel a pang of jealousy shoot through my chest everytime I think about him with any other girl.

Brian and Evie went on to their own lockers to get their books. It was Brian who picked me up today with Evie. Usually Evie would drive on her own but since she still had a little pain in her ankle(or that is what Brian insists us to believe) from the time she twisted it on the stairs at Nathaniel's house she tags with Brian. Or should I say Brian forces her to tag along? No matter how much she yells at him that she is fine, that it doesn't hurt anymore, he doesn't take no for an answer. I think he just wants to spend time with Evie. And guess what am I doing? Yep, third wheeling them... Actually I hope they don't feel like that because that would be too embarrassing.

Ahhh...and my another reason to be nervous?

I don't know how Xavier will react when he reaches my home only to realize that I already left without him. Maybe he'll be mad. And knowing Xavier he might even be in a spoilt mood for the rest of the day. If. Only if it really matters to him.

I felt a hand press down on my shoulders. I was so immersed in my thoughts that I jumped up in surprise. I look at my side to see Alec standing there with a red hoodie on.

All the events that happened yesterday came rushing back to me. I didn't know how to react. It was kind of awkward.

Why? Even I don't know myself. There were just these moments together which felt so special and something more.

"Alec." I said.

"Princess." He replied back.

I sighed lightly. Listening to him calling me Princess just made things a little less awkward. It just meant he wasn't really mad at me. Or was he?

I looked at him and he looked the same. There was nothing whatsoever different about him. Again, I don't know what I was expecting. He had the same blue oceanic eyes. The same blonde hair which were longer than before. While his lips. My god, it was the first time that I was actually noticing them. I haven't actually seen how kissable his lips were.

What is wrong with me?

"About yesterday," I started taking a step forward.

I was very much expecting for him to take a step back, but I was surprised when he didn't. He stood there in front of me just like that.

"You are still thinking about it?" He chuckled very lightly.

I looked up confused at him. Am I not supposed to? I could pretty much tell that he was hurt yesterday. And today he just seemed....fine.

He took a step towards me and there was very little space left between us. The night we spent in the rain flashed in front of my eyes for a moment, our near kiss before I shook it off.

"Yes, I mean you seemed so" I couldn't get to the hurt part before Alec shook his head,

"Shocked?" He said still chuckling a little. No hurt, I wanted to yell but I didn't.

"I was just shocked, that's all. Look, Xavier is my best friend and knowing he had been engaged all this while and I didn't even know was surprising."

I felt a little hurt. I don't know why but I did. He definitely didn't seem shocked. Or was I delusional? Afterall, people do become delusional and think what they want to.

I wanted to ask about our "near" kiss.

"I can understand." Was all I said.

"I am so glad that nothing happened between," he leaned in a little towards me so that he was near my ear, "us." He whispered and went back to standing in front of me.