Family Initiation

"Touch down!" Dru yelled gleefully as she paraded across the field line. Slamming the ball to the ground she began what could only be described as a 'victory dance.'

"You can't call 'touch down' before the ball hits the grass, Dru," Emma sneered, wiping a bead of sweat from her forehead.

"I'm across the line, aren't I?" Dru, quipped, folding her arms in defiance.

"But the ball was still in your hand. It has to touch the ground otherwise what's the point of calling it a touch down?"

"Oh," Dru huffed, "so you think that you could just tackle me now and knock the ball away? It's over the line, Emma."

Kit rolled his eyes. "Guys, chill. It's a touch down since Dru made it over the line with the ball." He raised his eyebrow slowly. "And why are you arguing anyway? You're on the same team."

Emma opened her mouth to argue, then closed it quickly, and Kit heard Jules snort beside him. Emma shot Kit a glare before retuning to the centre line. Dru threw the ball to Jules who was stating.

Dru had suggested a nice family game of football to kill the hours. Diana had decided that was a wonderful idea. On her end it was more so for the fact she could get the kids out of the institute and finally have some time to herself. Not everyone was excited as she was, but she promised everyone they'd have fun. Looking around Kit could see that wasn't really the case. Ty was constantly brushing the dirt from his close and was as startled as a dear in the head lights when Emma first went to tackle him. He gave Kit a pleading look after Dru's most recent touch down and Kit couldn't help but laugh.

What started out as a friendly girls versus boys football game had become increasingly confusing. Livvy had bumped Emma when she went to tackle Ty, and Kit could see Jules was watching everyone tentatively to ensure no one would get hurt.

"Alright, time out!" Kit called, gesturing for the others to come closer. Following suit, everyone now stood in a circle. Well, everyone aside from Tavvy. He was chasing after a butterfly barefoot and hollering 'touch down' happily.

"You're not going to try and give a pep talk are you?" Livvy asked, absent-mindedly picking dirt from under her fingernails.

Kit felt his cheeks flush in embarrassment. "No," he mumbled.

"Hear him out guys," Jules said, gesturing for Kit to speak.

"Uh," he began. "We're not really playing as teams," he mumbled, more so to his shoes than the people around him.

"What do you mean?" Emma asked. "We're kicking your butts." Dru gave a small hoot in agreement.

Jules rolled his eyes beside her. "I don't think that's what Kit means, Emma."

Kit nodded. "Yes, the girls are winning. But the game feels off."

"You're only saying that because you're losing," Dru huffed. Livvy offered her a low high-five.

"Not two minutes ago you and Emma were ready to go each other, despite getting a touch down." Dru chewed her lip as she avoided Kit's gaze.

"It's because these rules don't make sense," Jules said, reaching his arm around Emma's waist. She relaxed into his touch, but so slight that you might have missed it if you weren't looking.

"They keep changing," Ty agreed from beside him.

"It's not the rules," Livvy said sighing. "We're all just a little pent up since it's been so quiet lately."

Everyone shuffled in agreement. There hadn't been much demon activity lately, so aside from training they'd been in each other's space a lot recently. Kit didn't mind it so much since he got to spend a lot of time with Ty, but he could see the other were starting to get cabin fever.