CHAPTER TWO - November 2171 - The Moon

The journey back to the moon was uneventful and the work to repair the minor damage to Resolve had already begun.

Captain Meade and 2nd Lt Ross had been diverted to the debriefing room. Captain Meade had ordered WO1 Neil Bolgon to attend as well.

"You're back earlier than expected. I'd like an explanation as to why," said General Bolgon, the C.O. at Sentry One. The general looked at WO1 Bolgon. "I didn't ask for you, son."

Captain Meade, being the highest-ranking officer on duty during the battle for Ganymede, cleared his throat and spoke first. "I asked him to attend, sir. He was heavily involved in the conflict and has seen the aliens up close."

"Go on."

"We were on our routine flight out to Jupiter when we picked up a blip on our radar. After further investigation, we found that an alien battleport had flown into our vicinity. I would hazard a guess that they had come to attack Ganymede or Europa. We intercepted and defeated the enemy and managed to bring home their battleport."

"You did check for a distress signal or homing beacon aboard the battleport," said General Bolgon.

"Yes, sir. A distress signal had been triggered but we shut that off. It's possible they could send out another vessel to look for the battleport."

"They must not know that we have captured their ship. If we move quickly, we might be able to use this battleport in an attack on Anthera," General Bolgon rose and placed his hands flat on the table around which sat his most trusted aides. "Is there anything else to mention?"

"Just that some of the aliens escaped to Ganymede, sir."

"I take it the colonists have been informed."

"Yes, sir."

"Ok, if there's nothing to add, that will be all, gentlemen. All of you," he said while looking separately at each of them, "will be interviewed individually over the course of the next twenty-four hours. Keep yourselves available." He stood up straight. "Dismissed."

They all saluted the general then left the debriefing room.

"Sorry for pulling you in, Officer Bolgon. I thought you should be there in case I needed your account of the battle," said Captain Meade.

"Yes, sir. Will there be anything else?"

"Hang on a second," the captain had spotted Suzanne Cox, a well-known reporter for World News, approaching them.

"Any chance of an interview about your recent mission?" she asked Captain Meade.

He looked at her. The clothes she wore emphasised her athletic build and ample breasts. She had curly, brown hair and sharp, green eyes which seemed to be penetrating his normal self-control.

"No. The press conference will be held in a couple of days. You'll be able to get your story then."

Suzanne pressed him for more information, but he would not budge.

"How did you get this far inside the complex, Miss Cox?" he asked.

When he realised that she was not going to answer his question, Captain Meade waved his hand towards Suzanne as he said, "Officer Bolgon, escort Miss Cox away."

Neil took a step towards her.

She held her hands up and shrugged. "Okay – Okay, I'm leaving," she turned around with Neil following closely behind until she was past the security door.