Twenty-Nine

It didn't take me long to find out where Orion was. He was on the front page of every LA news article, his face on every LA-based news station, all revolving around the same idea: 'Rutherford First-Born comes back home, future wife in tow.' I frowned, staring at the TV just above my head at a nearby coffee shop. 'Now that Orion is back in the public's eye, can he redeem himself? Sources say that engagement to Cynthia Wagner, Los Angeles' favorite news anchor, will help cool things down.' Admittedly, I zoned out a bit here, but focused right at the good part. 'We've just heard word that Rutherfords will be holding a private engagement party at La Lune later this evening, but it hasn't been confirmed as of right now.'

La Lune.

Where it all started, and where it all will end.

Whether I was walking out with Orion or by myself, I knew I had to go. Just to see him. To say that I was sorry. To do what was right.

I spent most of the morning thinking my plan over. Was any of this a good idea? What if Orion really did want to marry this Cynthia Wagner chick? I mean, she was a pretty famous news anchor, and definitely was pretty. No, I felt the thought crawling into my mind, he doesn't want to marry her. He's in love with me. I'm sure of it. He wouldn't just say those words without meaning it.

I didn't allow for the negative thoughts to come my way. No, we were going ham this time. I knew that if I chickened out now, I'd never have another chance. Orion would be lost to me, forever.

Later that evening, I made my way to the restaurant. Already, a decent crowd of wealthy individuals had formed around the front of the restaurant. It wasn't long before I started getting dirty looks from each and every one of them.

She's showing too much skin...

Look at her clothes—she's definitely poor.

I don't think I see her soul-mark anywhere—could it be hidden someplace private?

Oh, Jesus Christ, I think she's a Blank.

How embarrassing.

I kept my chin up but did not ignore their comments. I listened to all of them, and yet they held no more weight in my heart. I wouldn't let them get to me. I wouldn't let them tear me down. And why? Because I knew the truth. I knew who I was, and they didn't. So, on I walked.

I made my way to the front desk, where—surprisingly enough—the same host from before was standing, scrolling through his little device without looking up at me.

"Reservation name, please?" he sighed.

"I'm looking for the Rutherford party."

He looked up at me, glancing me up and down. He actually scoffed, shaking his head.

"I'm sorry, miss, but everyone in that party's already been sat and accounted for. Not to mention that it's a private party. I'm afraid I'll have to ask you to leave if you don't have a reservation."

I bit my lip.

Great. What do I do now?

Suddenly, a lightbulb popped inside my head. I nodded, giving the host a smirk before spinning around

"Holy shit, I think that guy's a fucking Blank!" I shouted at the top of my lungs. The host jumped, immediately turning his head to stare at the poor unsuspecting guy I was pointing at, eating his salad across the room. A several hundred people looked, as well.