✩chapter two✩

Luz's mother sighed. "I can't believe you were expelled.." 

Luz sat in the passenger seat. She didn't try to make eye contact with her mother. "Sooo... do I get the rest of the day off?" 

Luz's mother didn't respond. She just kept her eyes on the road. 

Luz really couldn't figure out why she was being expelled. All she did was bring a snake into school! It was only a little poisonous and only sent three kids to the hospital.. 

They pulled up to Luz's house, where Luz's punishment would take place. Luz walked into the living room and sat on the couch, waiting for her mother to talk to her. This happened every single time she was sent home early, or suspended. Her mother usually sent Luz to her room with a warning. 

Luz's mother sat down next to her. "Luz.. I've been thinking.. and I think I'm going to send you somewhere else." 

Luz gasped. "Jail?!" 

"What? No. I'm sending you to a boarding school. I didn't want to send you there.. but you leave me no choice."

Boarding school. It wasn't as bad as Luz thought. Boarding school was just a school. But with dorms. It didn't sound that bad. 

"Okay.. so when am I leaving?" Luz asked.

"Tomorrow." Luz's mother held up a black suitcase with Luz's name on it. Luz was not expecting to go this soon. She thought she might of been able to stay home for a few days. Apparently not.

Luz raised an eyebrow. "Uh.. where exactly is this 'boarding school?'" 

"Oh.. on the other side of the country." Luz's mother said. "It's an amazing school. Only for the most intelligent individuals."

Luz giggled. "Then.. how did I get in? I'm not exactly the smartest." 

"Nonsense. You are smart... In your own way." Luz's mother nervously said, which Luz picked up on. Luz knew she wasn't the smartest person in the world. But she couldn't figure out why teachers always gave her bad grades for all her assignments. She did them! Just not in the exact way the teacher expected. Wasn't she supposed to be creative? 

"You should get to bed early, you've got a long road trip tomorrow." Luz's mother said. She gave Luz a pat on the shoulder before heading off to her own room.